"Oh, Sara," Ermengarde almost wailed in her reproachful dismay. And then after one more look they rushed into each other's arms.
“唉,萨拉,”埃芒加德受了责备似地感到沮丧,几乎要哭出来。接着她俩互望了一眼,冲向前去拥抱起来。
It must be confessed that Sara's small black head lay for some minutes on the shoulder covered by the red shawl.
必须指出,萨拉那一头黑发的小脑袋俯在那盖着红披肩的肩膀上有好几分钟。
When Ermengarde had seemed to desert her, she had felt horribly lonely.
当初埃芒加德似乎拋弃了她,她曾感到可怕地孤独。
Afterward they sat down upon the floor together, Sara clasping her knees with her arms, and Ermengarde rolled up in her shawl.
后来,她俩一块儿坐在地板上,萨拉双臂抱膝,埃芒加德紧裹着披肩,
Ermengarde looked at the odd, big-eyed little face adoringly.
爱慕地望着萨拉的那张奇待的、长着双大眼睛的小脸。
"I couldn't bear it any more," she said. "I dare say you could live without me, Sara; but I couldn't live without you.
“我再也受不了啦,”她说。“我敢说你没有我也能活下去,萨拉,但是没有你我可不能。
I was nearly dead. So tonight, when I was crying under the bedclothes,
我几乎像死去了。所以今天夜里我蒙着被子哭的时候,
I thought all at once of creeping up here and just begging you to let us be friends again."
忽然想到偷偷到你这儿来,只想求求你让我们再做朋友。”
"You are nicer than I am," said Sara. "I was too proud to try and make friends.
“你比我好,”萨拉说。“我太骄傲了,不肯努力交朋友。
You see, now that trials have come, they have shown that I am not a nice child. I was afraid they would. Perhaps"—
你知道,现在种种考验来了,它们证明了我不是个好孩子。我早就担心它们会这样证明的。或许”——
wrinkling her forehead wisely—"that is what they were sent for."
若有所悟地皱起前额——“就是为了证明这一个,这些考验才来的。”
"I don't see any good in them," said Ermengarde stoutly.
“我不明白这些考验有什么好处,”埃芒加德口气坚决地说。
"Neither do I—to speak the truth," admitted Sara, frankly. "But I suppose there might be good in things,
“我也不明白——这是实话,”萨拉坦率地承认。“但是我想有些事情可能会有好处,
even if we don't see it. There might"—doubtfully—"be good in Miss Minchin."
即使我们还看不出。可能——”她迟疑地说,“铭钦女士也有好的地方。”
Ermengarde looked round the attic with a rather fearsome curiosity.
埃芒加德环顾了一下阁楼,有点害怕,并感到奇怪。
"Sara," she said, "do you think you can bear living here?"
“萨拉,”她说,“你觉得你能忍受这儿的生活吗?”
Sara looked round also.
萨拉也环顾了一下四周。
"If I pretend it's quite different, I can," she answered; "or if I pretend it is a place in a story."
“如果我假装它已相当不同了,我就能忍受,”她回答,“或者,如果我假装这是一则故事中的一个地方的话。”
She spoke slowly. Her imagination was beginning to work for her.
她慢慢地讲。她的想象力开始为她工作了。
It had not worked for her at all since her troubles had come upon her. She had felt as if it had been stunned.
自从她蒙难以来,想象力根本没有为她运转过。她觉得它好像已经麻木了。