Like most kids, I grew up thinking my mom was a little bit okay, a lot embarrassing .
和大多数孩子一样,我从小到大都觉得我妈妈有一些不错,但很令人尴尬。
She tried to alter my opinion by showing me this cool movie.
她给我看了这部很酷的电影,试图改变我的看法。
She was in Star Wars.
她演过《星球大战》。
I don't know if any of you have ever heard of it, I haven't.
我不知道你们中是否有人听说过,因为我没有。
She used to love to tell the story that every time she tried to put it on, I would roll my eyes and yell, it's too loud, mommy or fearfully question.
她以前喜欢讲这个故事,每次她准备放这个电影的时候,我就会翻白眼,大叫“妈妈,它太吵了”,或者其他直截了当的问题。
Is that lady in the TV you?
难道电视里的那位女士是你吗?
It wasn't until middle school that I decided to watch it on my own accord.
直到中学,我自己才决定看这部电影。
Not because I suddenly developed a keen interest in seventies sci-fi, but because boys started coming up to me and telling me they fantasized about my mom, .
不是因为我突然对70年代的科幻小说产生了浓厚的兴趣,而是因为一些男生走到我面前,告诉我他们幻想过我妈妈。
You know what I'm saying?
你们知道我的意思吗?
So I went home to investigate who this person was they were talking about.
所以我回家去调查他们说的这个人是谁。
I finally watched the movie I had forever considered too loud, and finally figured out what all the fuss was about the lady in the TV.
我终于看了这部我一直嫌吵的电影,明白了他们对电视里的那位女士大惊小怪什么。
I wanted to hate it so I could tell her how lame she was.
我真想恨她,这样我就能告诉她,她有多差劲。
Like any kid, I didn't want my mom to be hot or cool.
和其他孩子一样,我不希望我的妈妈是那种很火辣或很酷的。
She was my mom.
她是我的妈妈。
But that day, staring at the screen, I realized no one is or will ever be as hot or as cool as Princess Leia.
但在那天,我盯着屏幕,意识到没有人会像莱娅公主一样火辣或者酷。