He's talking about innovations in every aspect of modern life.
比尔·盖茨谈到了现代生活方方面面的创新。
Manufacturing, agriculture, transportation, because nearly everything we now do releases earth-warming greenhouse gases, mainly carbon dioxide, into the atmosphere.
制造业、农业、交通运输,因为我们现在做的几乎每一件事都会向大气中排放温室气体,主要是二氧化碳。
He took us to his favorite burger joint in Seattle to explain.
他带我们去了他最喜欢的西雅图汉堡店向我们解释。
You're talking about changing everything in the economy.
你是说经济中的一切都要改变。
I mean, every aspect.
我是说,方方面面。
Yeah, the physical economy.
是的,实体经济的一切。
What we can see right now, of us sitting around here, what specifically would be impacted?
我们现在坐在这里看到的一切,具体来说有哪些会受到影响?
Well, this cement would be made in a different way, the steel in the building would be different.
我们会用不同的方式制造水泥,建筑中用到的钢材也一样。
You know, the meat and the burger is a big deal.
肉和汉堡也很重要。
These, you know, all this plastic and paper.
所有这些塑料和纸。
Potatoes.
还有土豆。
With potatoes, you're talking about fertilizer, the irrigation system that's used?
对于土豆,你是指肥料,和我们使用的灌溉系统吗?
All the tractors, the transport.
所有的拖拉机,运输工具。
Trucks that bring them to this restaurant.
把它们送到这家餐厅的卡车。
All that has to change.
所有这些都必须改变。
Hey, when you're going to zero, it you don't get to skip anything.
如果你要实现零排放,就不能放过任何东西。
Gates says going to zero means eliminating all greenhouse gas emissions or else...
盖茨说,零排放意味着消除所有温室气体排放,否则……
If they wait a hundred years to do this.
如果再过一百年再这么做呢。
It's way too late.
那就太晚了。
Then the natural ecosystems will have failed. The instability, you know, the migration, you know, those things will get really really bad well before the end of the century.
那时候自然生态系统就崩溃了。不稳定,移民,这些问题在本世纪末之前会变得非常非常糟糕。
When you talk about migration you're talking about hundreds of thousands of people trying to move from north Africa to Europe every year?
移民是指每年数十万想从北非移民到欧洲的人吗?
Exactly.
一点儿没错。
The Syrian war was a 20th of what climate migration will look like.
叙利亚战争的移民只会是未来气候迁移的二十分之一。
So the deaths per year are way 10 times greater than what we've experienced in the pandemic.
它造成的每年的死亡人数比疫情导致死亡的人数高出十倍。