Hello! I'm John Russell.
大家好!我是约翰·拉塞尔。
English spelling and pronunciation are irregular.
英语拼写和发音不规则。
The written words and the pronunciation do not always match.
书面语和发音并不总是一致的。
There are also some words that are spelled the same way, but their pronunciations are different.
也有一些单词拼写相同,但发音不同。
Luckily, there are some creative ways to remember some of these words.
幸运的是,有一些独特的方法来记住其中一些单词。
Consider these two words, both spelled t-e-a-r: Tear, tear, tear, tear.
看看这两个单词,拼写都是t-e-a-r:Tear,tear,tear,tear。
Tear is a verb. It means to separate by force.
动词tear的意思是强行分开。
Tear is a noun. It is a drop of liquid coming from the eye.
名词tear的意思是从眼睛里流出来的一滴液体。
To help you remember the difference between these two, consider words that rhyme with each of them.
为了帮助你记住这两个词之间的区别,看看分别与它们押韵的单词。
Tear, the verb, rhymes with care.
与动词tear(撕碎)押韵的单词是care。
And if you tear something apart, you probably do not care about it.
如果你把某件东西撕碎,你可能并不在乎它。
Tear, the noun, rhymes with fear.
与名词tear(眼泪)押韵的单词是fear。
And when you have a strong feeling of fear, you might cry, or shed tears.
当你有强烈的恐惧感时,你可能会哭,流泪。
Let's end with a quiz.
我们以一个小测验结束本期内容吧。
How should you pronounce the underlined word in this sentence?
这句话中划线的单词应该怎么发音?
The answer is tear. I saw a tear rolling down his face.
答案是tear(眼泪)。我看到一滴眼泪从他脸上流了下来。
You know it is tear because it is acting like a noun.
你之所以知道它是tear(眼泪),是因为它在句中作名词。
Also, the word "face" gives you a clue about the meaning.
此外,“face(脸)”这个词也给你提供了一个关于这个意思的线索。
Now consider this sentence.
现在看看这句话。
How would you pronounce the underlined word in this sentence?
你怎么读这句话中划线的单词?
The answer is tear--or tearing.
答案是tear/tearing(撕碎)。
You know it is tear because it is acting like a verb.
你之所以知道它是tear(撕碎),是因为它在句中作动词。
That's all for today! Keep up the good work!
今天就到这里吧!继续努力!