"Oh, dear, it's different from the way I thought it would be," she said.
海蒂闷闷不乐地说:“和我想像的一点儿也不一样。”
"There! what could such a little girl know about a view?
“你看吧,这些景色对你这样的小孩子来说一点也没意思!
We'll go down now and you must promise never to ring at my tower any more."
我们现在下去吧,保证以后可别再拉电铃了!”
On their way they passed an attic, where a large grey cat guarded her new family in a basket.
他们路过一间阁楼,一只灰色的大猫在篮子里守护着新成员。
This cat caught half-a-dozen mice every day for herself, for the old tower was full of rats and mice.
这只猫每天为自己捉六只老鼠,因为老塔里到处都是老鼠。
Heidi gazed at her in surprise, and was delighted when the old man opened the basket.
海蒂惊讶地看着,当老人打开篮子时,她很高兴。
"What charming kittens, what cunning little creatures!"
“啊,太可爱了!它们真漂亮!”
she exclaimed in her delight, when she saw them crawling about, jumping and tumbling.
她看到它们在地上爬、跳、滚时,她高兴地叫了起来。
"Would you like to have one?" the old man asked.
“送你一只怎么样?”看塔人问她
"For me? to keep?" Heidi asked, for she could not believe her ears.
“给我?让我养吗?”海蒂兴奋地问。她高兴得几乎不敢相信这是真的。
"Yes, of course. You can have several if you have room for them," the old man said, glad to find a good home for the kittens.
“是啊,当然是,要不全给你也行,只要你有地方养。”老爷爷很开心能把小猫送给海蒂。
How happy Heidi was!
海蒂高兴极了,
Of course there was enough room in the huge house, and Clara would be delighted when she saw the cunning things.
她想那么大幢房子,怎么都会有小猫们住的地方。而且克拉拉要是看见这些可爱的小猫,该有多高兴呀。
"How can I take them with me?" the child asked, after she had tried in vain to catch one.
“我怎么能把它们带走呢?”孩子问,她一只都抓不住。
"I can bring them to your house, if you tell me where you live,"
“我帮你拿,你家在哪儿?”
said Heidi's new friend, while he caressed the old cat, who had lived with him many years.
看塔人问海蒂,他抚摸着和他一起生活了很多年的老猫。
"Bring them to Mr. Sesemann's house; there is a golden dog on the door, with a ring in his mouth."
“是赛斯曼家,房子大门口有个金色的狗头像,嘴里还叼着粗粗的铁环呢。”
The old man had lived in the tower a long time and knew everybody; Sebastian also was a special friend of his.
看塔人已经在塔上住了很长时间,底下的每一户人家他都认识,何况塞巴斯蒂安还是他的老朋友。
"I know," he said. "But to whom shall I send them? Do you belong to Mr. Sesemann?"
“我知道,”看塔人说,“可是送到谁那儿好呢?你总不会是塞瑟曼的女儿吧。”
"No. Please send them to Clara; she will like them, I am sure."
“嗯,对了,你就送给克拉拉吧。我保证,她会喜欢这小猫。”
Heidi could hardly tear herself away from the pretty things,
海蒂舍不得离开这些可爱的小东西。
so the old man put one kitten in each of her pockets to console her. After that she went away.
于是老人在她的每个口袋里放了一只小猫来安慰她。之后她就走了。