"It's that star," explained Miss Leeson, pointing with a tiny finger.
“是那颗星星。”莉森小姐用纤细的指头指着星星,解释说,
"Not the big one that twinkles—the steady blue one near it.
“不是那颗闪闪发光的大星星——是它旁边的那颗从来不动的蓝色星星。
I can see it every night through my skylight. I named it Billy Jackson."
每天晚上我都能从天窗里看到它,我管它叫比利·杰克逊。”
"Well, really!" said Miss Longnecker. "I didn't know you were an astronomer, Miss Leeson."
“可不是嘛!”朗奈克小姐说,“我不知道原来你还是个天文学家呢,莉森小姐。”
"Oh, yous," said the small star gazer,
“哦,是的,”看星星的小人儿说,
"I know as much as any of them about the style of sleeves they're going to wear next fall in Mars."
“我知道的决不比任何一个天文学家要少,就连明年秋天火星人穿的衣服袖子是什么式样我都知道。”
"Well, really!" said Miss Longnecker. "The star you refer to is Gamma, of the constellation Cassiopeia.
“可不是嘛!”朗奈克小姐说,“你说的那颗是仙后星座上的伽马星。
It is nearly of the second magnitude, and its meridian passage is--"
它差不多算得上是二等星,它的中天中天:这是天文学里的一个术语。是——”
"Oh," said the very young Mr. Evans, "I think Billy Jackson is a much better name for it."
“哦,”十分年轻的埃文斯先生说,“我认为比利·杰克逊这个名字要好得多。”
"Same here," said Mr. Hoover, loudly breathing defiance to Miss Longnecker.
“我也这么认为,”胡佛先生大口大口地喘着气,向朗奈克小姐发起挑战,
"I think Miss Leeson has just as much right to name stars as any of those old astrologers had."
“我认为莉森小姐绝对有权利给星星起名字,就跟那些老占星家们一样。”
"Well, really!" said Miss Longnecker.
“可不是嘛!”朗奈克小姐说。
"I wonder whether it's a shooting star," remarked Miss Dorn.
“我怀疑它是不是颗流星。”多恩小姐也开口了,
"I hit nine ducks and a rabbit out of ten in the gallery at Coney Sunday."
“星期日我在科尼岛的打靶场上,十发子弹就打中了九只木鸭,一只木兔。”
"He doesn't show up very well from down here," said Miss Leeson. "you ought to see him from my room.
“从这下面看还是不够清楚,”莉森小姐说,“你们应该到我房里去看。
you know you can see stars even in the daytime from the bottom of a well.
你们知道,要是在井底,就算是白天也能看到星星的。
At night my room is like the shaft of a coal mine,
到了晚上,我的房间就像是煤矿的竖井,
and it makes Billy Jackson look like the big diamond pin that Night fastens her kimono with."
从那儿看,比利·杰克逊就像是夜女神别在她睡衣上的一颗大钻石别针哩。”