The grandmother lived out in the wood, half a league from the village, and just as Little Red Riding Hood entered the wood, a wolf met her.
老奶奶住在树林里,那里离村子有半里路。小红帽刚走进森林就碰到了一条狼。
Little Red Riding Hood did not know what a wicked creature he was, and was not at all afraid of him.
小红帽不知道狼是坏家伙,所以一点也不怕它。
“Good-day, Little Red Riding Hood,” said he.
“你好,小红帽,”狼说。
“Thank you kindly, wolf.”
“谢谢你,狼先生。”
“Whither away so early, Little Red Riding Hood?”
“小红帽,这么早要到哪里去呀?”
“To my grandmother’s.”
“我要到奶奶家去。”
“What have you got in your apron?”
“你那围裙下面是什么呀?”
“Cake and wine; yesterday was baking-day, so poor sick grandmother is to have something good, to make her stronger.”
“蛋糕和葡萄酒。昨天我们家烤了蛋糕,可怜的奶奶生病了,要吃些好东西才能恢复。”
“Where does your grandmother live, Little Red Riding Hood?”
“你奶奶住在哪里呀,小红帽?”
“A good quarter of a league farther on in the wood; her house stands under the three large oak-trees, the nut-trees are just below; you surely must know it,” replied Little Red Riding Hood.
“进了林子还有一段路呢。她的房子就在三棵大橡树下,低处围着核桃树篱笆。你一定知道。”小红帽说。
The wolf thought to himself, “What a tender young creature! What a nice plump mouthful —
狼在心中盘算着:“这小东西细皮嫩肉的,肯定能让我饱餐一顿,
she will be better to eat than the old woman. I must act craftily, so as to catch both.”
味道肯定比那老太婆更美味。我想想办法,把她俩都吃掉。”