This is Everyday Grammar. I'm Alice Bryant.
这里是《每日语法》节目。我是爱丽丝·布莱恩特。
Ahhh, autumn in Washington, D.C. The leaves are very colorful.
啊,华盛顿的秋天。树叶非常绚丽多彩。
The sweaters are very cozy, and the hot apple cider is very, very tasty.
毛衣非常舒适,热苹果酒非常非常美味。
Did you notice anything repetitive about my speech?
你们注意到我讲的话有什么重复的地方吗?
I overused the adverb "very" to demonstrate this.
为了说明这一点,我过度使用了副词“very”。
Rather than repeat adverbs too often, we can usually use stronger adjectives to describe the qualities of a person or thing.
我们通常可以用更强烈的形容词来描述一个人或事物的特征,而不是过于频繁地重复副词。
For instance, I used the adjectives colorful, tasty and cozy.
例如,我用了形容词colorful,tasty和cozy。
Like most adjectives in English, these are gradable adjectives.
像英语中的大多数形容词一样,这些都是可分级形容词。
Let me explain. With gradable adjectives there can be grades, or degrees, to qualities.
我来解释一下。可分级形容词描述的特征可以分等级或程度。
The weather can be, for example, kind of cold, very cold, or extremely cold.
例如,天气可以是有点冷、非常冷或极其冷。
To show this, we can use adverbs, such as "kind of" or "very" with the adjectives.
为了表示这一点,我们可以用副词来修饰这类形容词,如“kind of”或“very”。
Another way to say extremely cold is freezing.
另一种表达“极其冷”的方式是freezing。
Freezing is an extreme adjective.
Freezing是一个极端形容词。
Extreme adjectives have the meaning of "extremely+adjective".
极端形容词有“极其+形容词”的意思。
Here are a few more common extreme adjectives: huge, which means extremely large;
下面是几个比较常见的极端形容词:huge,意思是极其大;
excellent, which means extremely good, and delicious, which means extremely tasty.
excellent,意思是极其好,delicious,意思是极其美味。
With extreme adjectives, we often avoid using some adverbs, such as "kind of" or "very".
我们通常会避免用一些副词来修饰极端形容词,如“kind of”或“very”。
To say something is kind of freezing might be confusing or very excellent might sound redundant.
说某物“有点极冷”可能会让人感到困惑,“非常优秀”可能听起来多余。
And that's Everyday Grammar.
以上就是今天的《每日语法》。