Welcome to English @ the Movies where you learn American English heard at the movies.
欢迎来到《看电影学英语》节目,我们会在这里讲解你在电影中听到的美式英语。
In the Netflix movie "The Social Dilemma", technology experts explain the tools they created for big social media services that influence society.
在网飞出品的电影《社交陷阱》中,技术专家就他们为影响社会的大型社交媒体服务所创造的工具进行了解释。
They say the technology can control people's behavior, spread false information,
他们表示,这项技术可以控制人们的行为,传播虚假信息,
keep people dependent on their services and hurt our mental health.
让人们依赖他们的服务,损害我们的心理健康。
Listen for the words "we're toast."
留意听一下we're toast这个短语。
If technology creates mass chaos, loneliness, more polarization, more election hacking,
如果科技制造了大规模的混乱、孤独、更多的两极分化、更多的选举黑客、
more inability to focus on the real issues, we're toast.
无法更加专注于真正的问题,我们就完蛋了。
What do you think "we're toast" means?
你觉得we're toast是什么意思?
A) We are in need of more education, or B) We are in trouble and facing destruction or defeat.
A)我们亟需更多的教育,还是B)我们正处于困境之中,面临着毁灭或失败。
Listen again.
再听一遍。
If technology creates mass chaos, loneliness, more polarization, more election hacking,
如果科技制造了大规模的混乱、孤独、更多的两极分化、更多的选举黑客、
more inability to focus on the real issues, we're toast.
无法更加专注于真正的问题,我们就完蛋了。
The answer is B.
答案是B。
"We're toast" means we are in trouble and facing destruction or defeat.
We're toast的意思是我们正处于困境之中,面临着毁灭或失败。
Toast is bread that has been browned in direct heat.
吐司是一种通过直接加热,使颜色变为棕色的面包。
In the movie "The Social Dilemma", experts suggest that we can save the best parts of social media and do away with the worst ones to avoid becoming toast.
在电影《社交陷阱》中,专家建议,我们可以对社交媒体取其精华,去其糟粕,以避免被摧毁。
And that's English at the movies.
以上就是本期的《看电影学英语》。