No. Ten. All the other planets and stars we've ever seen are round and there's no reason to indicate that the earth should be any different.
十:我们所见到的所有的行星和星球都是圆的,所以我们也没有理由认为地球不同。
No. Nine. Time Zones.
九:时区。
Day and night happen at different times at different places on earth
白天和黑夜发生在地球上不同地方的不同时间,
- in fact, it's always day somewhere and night somewhere else.
总归有一些地方正处于白天,另一些地方正处于夜晚。
No. Eight. The Coriolis Effect means freely moving things (like cannonballs or hurricane winds) are deflected to the right -
八:科里奥利效应,也就是自由移动的物体(比如炮弹或者龙卷风)都会向右偏转 -
but only if you're north of the equator.
但你必须处于赤道北边。
If you're south of the equator, they're deflected left.
如果在赤道南边,它们就会向左边偏转。
No. Seven. Triangles.
七:球面三角。
If you walk 10,000km straight along the earth's surface, turn 90° to your right, walk 10,000km more, turn right again and walk another 10,000km,
如果你沿着地球表面向前走一万公里,再向右转90度,再走上一万公里,还是向右转,又走上一万公里,
you will be back to where you started, having successfully made a triangle with three 90° angles.
那么你将会回到出发的地方,你此时用三个直角构造了一个三角形。
As any geometry student can tell you, this is impossible on a flat surface.
那些学地理的学生会告诉你,这不可能会发生在平面上。
No. Six. The sun, in general, gets lower and lower in the sky as you travel away from the equator and you can use this to measure the earth's curvature.
六:太阳。总的来说,天空中太阳的位置在你和赤道距离逐渐增加时越来越低,你可以以此来测量地球的弯曲程度。
Pick two places a few hundred miles directly north and south of each other
选择同一经度上的两个相距几百公里的地点,
and at noon, measure the shadows cast by a vertical meter-stick at each location.
中午时,在两个地方放置竖直木棒并测量投影的长度。
You can use the shadow-lengths to figure out the angle between the sticks
你可以用所测量的影长和实际长度经过计算得到两根棒间的夹角。
and once you add in how far apart they are, you can calculate the earth's curvature.
一旦你将两根木棒间距离加到计算过程中,就可以计算出地球的弯曲程度
No. Five. The stars at night change as you go north or south
五:夜晚,天空中的星星和你所处的纬度有关。
- for example, Orion is upside down if you're in Australia!
举例来说,在澳大利亚看,猎户星座(和北半球相比)倒了过来!
No. Four. Ferdinand Magellan (and many people afterwards) circumnavigated the earth.
四:麦哲伦和很多后人都曾环游世界。
That means he left headed west, continued going west, and came back to where they started, still going west
也就是说,船队在出发时向西航行,航程中也一直向西,最后他们回到了出发点,此时航向仍然向西。
(actually, Magellan was dead, but one of his ships - led by Juan Sebastian Elcano - finished the journey).
(事实上,航程结束时麦哲伦早就归西了,而航程结束时,船队的领航者是 Juan Sebastian Elcano)。
If you head west and circumnavigate the earth yourself, you'll be able to tell because you'll observe one fewer sunrise than everyone who stays at home.
如果你一直向西航行独自环游地球,你就能明白,因为你比宅在家里的人们将少经历一次日出。
No. Three. The horizon.
三:地平线。
Ships on the ocean or tall Chicago buildings viewed over Lake Michigan disappear bottom-first.
从海上航行的船上或者芝加哥大楼顶上看,密歇根湖是底部先从眼前消失。
And you can see the sun set twice if you watch it lying down and then quickly stand up.
如果你先躺下,然后迅速站起来,你也能够看到两次日落之景。
The simple fact is, if the earth were flat, there wouldn't be a horizon beyond which things could disappear
道理很简单,如果地球是个平面,我们就不会看到物体在地平面消失的场面
so you'd be able to see all of Chicago from across Lake Michigan… as well as the rocky mountains.
同时在密歇根湖的另一边,你不仅能看到整个芝加哥,也能看到落基山脉
No. Two. During a lunar eclipse, the shadow of the earth on the moon is curved.
二:在月食的过程中,地球投射在月球上的阴影是弯曲的
And... No. One. We know the earth is round because we have photographic evidence.
一:我们之所以知道地球是圆的的原因在于:我们有地球的照片。