My name is Mony Thach and I'm graduating from Evergreen High School.
我叫默尼撒,我将从常青树高中毕业。
I moved from Phnom Penh, which is the capital of Cambodia, when I was about five years old.
五岁的时候,我从柬埔寨首都金边搬过来。
In Cambodia, my mom worked at a fruit stand and I would help her because in Cambodia, when you're born, that's when you're thinking about working already.
在柬埔寨,我妈妈经营着一个水果摊,我会帮着她打理,因为在柬埔寨,人一出生,就已经开始考虑工作了。
In my family, I was the only person to even go through kindergarten, through high school.
在我家里,我是唯一一个上过幼儿园和高中的人。
At first, it was so confusing because all the other kids would understand things, I would be a little behind.
一开始,我觉得很困惑,因为其他的孩子都初涉人世,我就有点落后了。
And that was when I realized this was different than just delivering fruit and trying to live.
那时,我意识到,上学这件事与送水果和设法谋生是不一样的。
This was learning and this was trying to build myself.
这是在学习,这是在创造自己。
I was fortunate to know a lot of friends who helped me through the process.
我很幸运,认识了很多朋友,他们帮我度过整个学习生涯。
They knew I was a first-generation student and they knew that my family and I have never seen anything like this.
他们知道我是第一代学生,他们知道,我的家族和我从来没有经历过这样的事情。
But they thought that I could get into a university that I wanted.
但是他们觉得我可以进入我向往的学府。
When I got my acceptance letter, I was a little speechless.
当我收到录取通知书时,激动的难以言表。
And I remember telling my mom and she got so excited.
我记得把喜讯告诉我妈妈时,她十分激动。
Me being able to tell them that I got accepted to this university, it gave me enough,
我能够告诉他们我被这所大学录取了,这已经足够了,
because all I wanted to do was repay them back for all the lessons they taught me, the time they gave me, all the love they gave me.
因为我想做的一切就是回报他们教给我的所有知识,他们提供给我的时间,他们给我的所有爱。
My message to my class would be, we're gonna have a bright future.
我想告诉同学们的是,我们会有一个光明的未来。
And I'm proud to know that.
我对此感到很自豪。