There is an interesting trend I've noticed.
我注意到了一个很流行的想法。
It's very conventional for every generation to underestimate the potential of the following one.
每代人都会低估下一代人的潜力,这似乎已经成为惯例。
It's because they don't realize that the progress of one generation becomes the foundational premise for the next,
一代人所取得的进步,会成为下一代人成长的基础,
and it takes a new set of people to come along and realize all the possibilities.
而且需要新一代人的继承才能实现创新。
I grew up without much access to technology.
我本人的成长过程中没有太多接触科技的机会。
We didn't get our first telephone till I was ten.
我十岁那年,家里才有了第一部电话。
I didn't have regular access to a computer until I came to America for graduate school.
直到我来美国读研究生,我才有机会经常使用电脑。
And our television, when we finally got one, only had one channel.
当我们终于有了一台电视时,却只有一个频道能观看。
So imagine how awestruck I am today to be speaking to you on a platform that has millions of channels.
所以,你们想象一下,今天我能在这个拥有数百万个频道的平台上给你们演讲,是多么震撼的一件事。
By contrast, you grew up with computers of all shapes and sizes.
相比之下,你们的成长伴随着各种类型和尺寸的电脑。
The ability to ask a computer anything, anywhere, the very thing I've spent my last decade working on, is not amazing to you.
你们可以打开电脑搜寻任何知识,任何地方,甚至是我花了十年时间努力的目标,而你们可能早已习以为常。
That's okay. It doesn't make me feel bad. It makes me hopeful.
没关系。我不会因此不平衡。这让我充满了希望。
There are probably things about technology that frustrate you and make you impatient.
你们可能也会对于科技解决问题的能力有限而感到失望。
Don't lose that impatience.
不要因此失去渴望。
It'll create the next technology revolution and enable you to build things my generation could never dream of.
这种热切将引发下一场技术革命,推断你们开发出我们这一代人做梦都想不到的东西。
You may be just as frustrated by my generation's approach to climate change or education.
你们可能会对我们这一代人对待气候变化或教育的方式不以为然。
Be impatient. It'll create the progress the world needs.
保持不满现状的看法。这将推动世界进步所必需的。
You will make the world better in your own way, even if you don't know exactly how.
你们会用自己的方式让世界变得更美好,即使你们还没有发现具体的途径。
The important thing is to be open-minded, so that you can find what you love.
重要的是要思想开明,才能找到热爱的事物。
For me, it was technology.
对我来说,技术是我的最爱。
The more access my family had to technology, the better our lives got.
家里人使用科技的机会越多,我们的生活水平就会越来越高。
So when I graduated, I knew I wanted to do something to bring technology to as many others as possible.
所以当我毕业的时候,我知道,我想做点什么把科技带给尽可能多的人。
At the time, I thought I could achieve this by building better semiconductors.
当时,我以为可以通过制造更完善的半导体来实现这一点。
I mean, what could be more exciting than that?
我是说,还有什么比这更令人兴奋的呢?
My father spent the equivalent of a year's salary on my plane ticket to the US, so I could attend Stanford.
我父亲花了差不多一年的工资给我买了去美国的机票,让我念斯坦福大学。
It was my first time ever on a plane.
那是我第一次坐飞机。
But when I eventually landed in California, things weren't as I had imagined.
但当我最终在加州落地时,发现事情并不像我想象的那样美好。
America was expensive.
美国的物价高。
A phone call back home was more than $2 a minute, and a backpack cost the same as my dad's monthly salary in India.
给家里打一通电话一分钟要花2美元多,一个背包的价格相当于我父亲在印度一个月的薪水。
And for all the talk about the warm California beaches, that water was freezing cold.
尽管大家都在谈论加州温暖的海滩,但那里的海水冰凉刺骨。
On top of all that, I missed my family, my friends and my girlfriend, now my wife, back in India.
最重要的是,我想念在印度的家人、朋友和女友,也就是我现在的妻子。