For those who are entering the job market, with record unemployment and no way to predict when recovery will come,
对于那些刚刚进入就业市场的人来说,他们的失业率创下了历史新高,而且无法预测经济何时会复苏,
I know that it is daunting and hard and scary.
我知道这让人气馁、艰难又可怕。
But you are going to make it through.
但你们总能挺过去的。
Just as you have made it through the months that have just passed.
就像大家熬过了刚刚过去的几个月一样。
Find answers in community and friends and family.
在社区、朋友和家人中寻求帮助。
And if you are so inclined in faith, yours is not the first generation to face hardship,
你们若真有信心,要相信自己不是第一代面对苦难的人,
so immerse yourself in the stories of those who came before you.
所以,从前辈的故事中汲取经验吧。
Those who faced the great depressions and great wars, and came out stronger on the other side.
那些面对大萧条和战争的前辈,在砥砺中变得更加强大。
I also ask you to recognize that education is a privilege.
我还想让大家认识一点,受教育是一种特权。
It is not an entitlement.
这不是一种权利。
Spend a little time today reflecting on how fortunate your are to have the possibilities before you,
今天花点时间反思一下,有可能出现在你面前的可能性,你们是多么幸运。
thanks to your educational achievements thus far.
感谢你迄今为止所取得的教育成就。
Remember that there are those who were just as intelligent, just as deserving, who did not graduate for whatever reason.
请记住,那些和你们一样聪慧,一样努力的人,他们出于某种没能毕业。
Maybe a broken home, maybe extreme poverty, maybe addiction.
也许是出身破裂的家庭,也许身陷极度贫困,也许是吸毒成瘾。
They didn't make it to this day.
他们没能简直到毕业。
Pledge now that you will not look down on them.
请你们保证,不会歧视这类人。
That you will not forget them.
也不要忘记他们。
And that when you can, you will try to help.
有能力的时候,要尽力帮助他们。
When you serve those who have less than you do, you will never be given over to entitlement, "Why don't they give me?"
当你为那些不如你的人服务时,你将永远不会被权利所支配,不会说“为什么他们不给我?”
Or grievance, "Why don't I have?"
或者抱怨,“为什么我没有?”
You will ask instead, "Why do I have so much?"
而是可能会问:“为什么我拥有这么多?”