My passion was to be a concert pianist.
我的志向是成为一名音乐会钢琴家。
I could read music before I could read.
我在识字之前就能看懂乐谱了。
But in college, I realized that I was good, but not great.
但是在大学里我才意识到我虽然优秀,但并不伟大。
That my career path would likely end playing in a department store while people shopped. I was crushed.
很可能人们在百货商店购物时,我的职业生涯就戛然而止。我被击溃了。
And I searched for quite a while, until one day, I took a class in International Politics taught by a Russian specialist.
我寻找了很长时间,直到有一天,我参加了一个俄罗斯专家教授的国际政治课程。
I knew what I wanted to be.
我知道自己想做什么了。
And it was in that moment that I began a journey which would lead me to work in the White House and to be Secretary of State.
就在那一刻,我开启了一段旅程,后来我在白宫工作,并当担任国务卿。
There's a funny thing about passions.
激情有一件有趣的事。
They are uniquely yours.
激情是你们独一无二的特质。
I grew up in Jim Crow, Alabama, where my family, because of the color of our skin,
我在阿拉巴马州的吉姆克劳长大,在那里,由于肤色的原因,
couldn't go to the same movie theatres or restaurants as our white neighbors.
我们家无法像白人邻居一样去电影院或餐馆。
Despite the circumstances, my parents, who were educators, never allowed me to have limited horizons.
尽管面临这种困境,我的教育家父母从不允许我的眼界受到限制。
Still, there was no reason that a black girl from segregated Birmingham, Alabama should want to be a specialist on the Soviet Union.
尽管如此,一个来自实行种族隔离的阿拉巴马州伯明翰市的黑人女孩,没有理由要成为苏联问题的专家。
So here's my plea to you.
所以我的建议就是,
Don't let anyone tell you that you can't be passionate about something because of the color of your skin,
千万不要听别人说,因为肤色,
or your gender, or the circumstances from which you came.
性别,或者出身环境,你不能对某件事充满激情。
It is your passion. Work for it. Embrace it.
这是你的激情。为了激情努力。拥抱激情。
And it will pay dividends throughout your lives.
激情会对你的一生大有裨益。
I understand that it may be hard right now to even imagine a life in which you can pursue what you love to do.
我理解,当下环境甚至让人很难想象那种追求喜欢的事物的生活。
For those heading to college, it is unsettling not to know what life will be like on a campus with social distancing.
对于那些即将上大学的人来说,不知道实施社交距离限制的校园里是什么样的生活,令人不安。
Will you be asked to learn online as well as in the classroom?
学校会要求课堂教学的同时进行在线学习吗?
Will there be anything like the social life that you had expected?
会有你期待的社交生活吗?