An example of something that's oily or greasy (they mean the same thing) is a cheese pizza.
说到油腻,芝士披萨就是一个很好的例子。
If you look at a cheese pizza, the top of it is, like, almost wet, and it's filled with pretty much fat,
如果你见过芝士披萨的话,你就知道它的表面几乎都是湿的,全部都是脂肪,
so we call that oily or greasy. Okay?
那种感觉就是我们所说的“油腻的”,大家懂了吧?
French fries can also be oily or greasy.
炸薯条有时也很油腻。
Usually unhealthy food, not healthy food is usually oily and greasy.
通常情况下,非健康食品,也就是不健康的食物,都很油。
Fast food is usually oily and greasy.
快餐通常也很油腻。
McDonalds, Burger King, all of these fast food chains usually have quite greasy and oily food.
麦当劳、汉堡王,所有这些快餐连锁店卖的通常都是比较油腻的东西。
Okay, the next word: "ripe", "ripe".
好了,下一个词:“ripe”(成熟),“ripe”。
If something is ripe, it means it's ready to be eaten.
如果某样东西成熟了,那就意味着它可以吃了。
So, we usually use this with fruit and sometimes vegetables, but a lot the times with fruit.
所以,我们在提到水果,有时提到蔬菜时也会,经常用到这个词,但水果更常用一些。
If you think about an apple, when an apple is ready to be eaten, it's ripe.
想象一个苹果,如果这个苹果可以吃了,那就说明它已经熟了。
"Oh, this apple tastes so good. It's ripe."
“啊,这个苹果太好吃了。已经熟了。”
Or mango, if you've ever eaten a mango, you can't eat it when it's green; you wait for it to turn a different colour.
再比如芒果,如果你吃过芒果的话,你会发现它是绿色的时候其实是不能吃的,你得等它变色。
When it turns into a red colour or a different colour, we say it's ready to be eaten, it's ripe.
当它变成红色或其他颜色的时候,我们就说它可以吃了,说它已经熟了。
So, "ripe" means ready to be eaten, for fruit.
总而言之,“ripe”的意思就是已经可以吃了,就水果而言的话。
Finally, we have the word "spicy".
最后一个词是“spicy”(辣)。
It has the same meaning as "hot".
它和“hot”(辣)的意思是一样的。
And so, spicy food or hot food, if you imagine a red pepper.
说到spicy/hot的事物。大家不妨想想一个红辣椒。
A red pepper is very spicy, it's very hot.
红辣椒就很spicy,也可以说很hot。
Indian food is very spicy, it's very hot.
印度菜就很spicy/hot。
So, "spicy" means there's a lot of flavour in it,
“spicy”的意思是味道很浓烈,
and usually it makes your mouth feel like it's on fire if it's too spicy. Okay?
而且,如果特别特别辣的话,你的嘴巴会有种着火了的感觉。
So that's the word "spicy" and "hot".
“spicy”和“hot”我们就讲到这里。
Again, they mean the same thing.
再说一遍,它们两个的意思是一样的。
All right, we also have some other words that are very important when describing food.
好的,除了上面这些,还有一些词是我们在描述食物时经常会用到的词。
The first one is "raw", "raw".
第一个是“raw”(生的)。“raw”。
Okay? And notice how my mouth, it really opens up wide: "raw".
注意我的嘴型,要张得很开:“raw”。
If something is raw, it means it is not cooked.
如果某样东西是生的,那就意味着没煮熟。
Okay? So it's not cooked.
没有煮熟。
If you think about sushi, sushi is fish that is raw.
如果你想到了寿司,寿司就是生的鱼。
It is not cooked fish; it is raw fish.
是没有煮熟的鱼,而是生鱼。
Another example is if you eat, you know, maybe you don't cook something in your refrigerator, you eat it raw.
再比如,你吃了你从冰箱里拿出来但没煮就直接吃了的东西,生吃的。
It hasn't been cooked.
没煮过就被你吃了。
Broccoli, you can eat broccoli raw.
比如西兰花,西兰花是可以生吃的。
It means it hasn't been cooked yet.
意思是没有煮过。
Oh, and finally...Sorry, there's a mistake, here.
最后一个...抱歉,这里写错了。
This should be an "L", great.
这里应该是个“L”,好的。
"Bland", so it rhymes with "and", "bland".
“Bland”(淡而无味的),所以它和“and”是押韵的,“bland”。
"Bland" is when something is very boring, there's no flavour. Okay?
“Bland”就是说某个东西很无聊,没味道。
So, for example, imagine eating soup and there's no salt, no pepper, no spices, it's just pretty much boiled water, that would be very bland.
打个比方,想象一下,喝汤的时候没有盐,没有胡椒也没有辣椒,基本上都是用白水煮了一下,那种味道就很淡。
Okay? There's no flavour.
就是没什么味道在里面。
A lot of students tell me Canadian food is a little bit bland.
很多学生都跟我说,加拿大菜的味道就比较淡。
I don't know if I'd agree, but I've heard a lot of students say that,
具体我也不知道,但我听很多学生都是这么说的,
so it means it's boring and without flavour.
他们的意思就是加拿大菜的味道比较淡而无味。
All right, so let's come back here and let's do some pronunciation together next.
好的,等会儿我们接着讲一点儿发音的问题。
Okay, so another question that's very common if you're talking about food is:
好的,谈论食物的时候,另一个常见的问题就是:
"Do you like to cook? Do you like to cook?"
“你喜欢做饭吗?你喜欢做饭吗?”
This comes up a lot on the IELTS test, the speaking test, as well as sometimes the TOEFL.
这个问题在雅思考试,雅思口语考试部分,以及托福考试中都经常出现。
So, we have two answers here.
我这里给大家列举了两种答案。
"Yeah, I can cook. I like it."
“是的,我会做饭,因为我喜欢做饭。”
I've also written: "I can't cook."
还有就是:“我不会做饭。”
So the reason I bring this up is for pronunciation.
我之所以把这个问题摆在这里是因为这里面有发音的问题。
A lot of students don't know the difference in pronunciation between "can" and "can't".
很多学生都不知道“can”和“can't”在发音上的区别。
Because on the TOEFL and IELTS you are marked on pronunciation, that's one thing they look for,
因为托福和雅思考试的分数都要跟发音挂钩,所以这两个词的发音也是考官们留意的一个点,
this is a way to improve your pronunciation mark.
所以,这也是大家提高发音水平的一个机会。
Okay: "I can cook."
比如:“我会做饭。”
"Can" is pronounced...If you know who Barbie is, her boyfriend was named Ken.
“can”的发音是……如果你知道Barbie的话,那你应该也知道她的男朋友叫肯。
So I can put that here, Ken.
我把他的名字写一下吧。肯。
It's pronounced the same way: "I can cook."
这个名字的发音就和“我会做饭里”里的“can”是一样的。
This is very different from "can't".
它的发音和“can't”是不一样的。
My mouth, for this, gets very big and wide,
发“can't”这个音的时候,嘴巴要长得很宽很大,
it's almost like somebody's pulling my mouth apart when I say: "can't", "I can't cook."
就像有人在把我的嘴巴往两边拽一样:“can't”,“I can't cook”。
Which one is louder?
哪一个的发音更大一些呢?
I want you to listen.
大家仔细听噢。
"I can cook. ", "I can't cook."
“我会做饭”、“我不会做饭。”
This one is the loud one. Okay?
后一个声音更大对吧?
So if they ask you a question about:"Oh, do you like to cook?"
所以,如果他们问你:“对了,你喜欢做饭吗?”
"Oh yeah, I love cooking. I can cook really well."
那你就可以说“啊,喜欢呀,我喜欢做饭。而且我厨艺还不错噢。”
or "No, I hate cooking. I can't cook."
或者“不,我讨厌做饭,我也不会做饭。”
Okay. Another thing you can say if you get asked this question, is you can talk about your specialty.
好的。另外,在被问到这个问题的时候,大家还可以聊的一点就是你的specialty(拿手菜)。
Your speciality is the thing you're good at cooking.
你的拿手菜就是你擅长做的那道菜。
Okay? So for me, my specialty when it comes to cooking is gingerbread cookies.
拿我来说,我的拿手菜就是姜饼饼干。
I make very, very good gingerbread cookies.
我做的姜饼饼干非常非常好吃。
I'm famous for my gingerbread cookies,
我做的姜饼饼干也算得上是小有名气的,
so I would say: "Oh, my speciality is gingerbread cookies. What's your speciality?"
那我就可以说:“哦,我的拿手菜是姜饼饼干。你呢?”
Okay? Some of you might say: "Pizza", some of you might say something totally different.
你们中间的一些人可能会说:“披萨”,还有一些人的回答可能是一些截然不同的东西。
So the specialty...And it's pronounced "spec-ial-tee", is the thing you cook the best.
所以,specialty…注意,它的发音是“spec-ial-tee”,它指的是你做的最好吃的东西。
So it's a good word to use.
所以这是一个非常加分的词。
Okay, finally, last thing I want to talk about,
好的,最后一个要讲的是,
these are some common foods that students mispronounce. Okay?
有一些常见的有关食物的词大家都会读错,这些就是几个例子。
Again, you're getting marked on pronunciation,
还是那句话,大家的发音也是会跟你的分数挂勾的,
so let's just look at these words and how to pronounce them correctly.
下面我们就来看看这几个单词,以及它们是如何正确发音的吧。
The first one: "chocolate".
第一个:“chocolate”(巧克力)。
A lot of students say: "choc-o-late", that's incorrect.
很多学生会读成“Chc-o-late”,这是不对的。
It's like this "o" doesn't exist: "choc-late".
我们要发得跟“o”不存在一样:“chc-late”。
We have this word, many students say: "veg-e-table".
这个单词,很多同学都读成:“veg-e-table”。
Sorry, four: "veg-e-ta-ble".
抱歉,是四个音节:“veg-e-ta-ble”。
We don't pronounce it this way.
我们不这样发音。
First off, make sure your "v" is good: "veg".
首先,要确保你的“v”的发音是正确的:“veg”。
We say: "vegtable", "vegetable", "I like vegetables."
我们说“vegtable”,“vegtable”,“I like vegtable”(我喜欢蔬菜)。
Okay, a lot of students make...Make mistakes with this word, too.
此外,很多学生……这个词也会读错。
The pronunciation of this: "fruit", "fruit". Okay?
正确的发音是:“fruit”(水果),“fruit”,大家记住了吗?
So not "frete", a lot of students pronounce the "i" as a "e" sound.
不是“frete”,很多学生会把“i”发成“e”。
It's not "frete", it's "fruit".
不是“frete”,是“fruit”。
And finally, similar to "chocolate", many students mispronounce the word "broccoli".
最后,和“chocolate”一样,很多学生还会把“broccoli”念错。
They say: "broc-co-li", but it's actually just: "brocc-li".
他们会发成“broc-co-li”,但实际上是“broc-li”。
The "o", here, it's quiet; it's a silent "o", so: "broccoli".
这里的“o”也是静音的,是一个不发音的“o”,所以是“broccoli”。
Okay, I hope you've enjoyed this video.
好的,希望大家喜欢今天的视频。
We've learned a lot of new words about food, a lot of ways to talk about it.
今天这节课我们学了很多有关食物的新词,也学了很多谈论食物的方式。
If you're doing the TOEFL or IELTS, I hope you use some of these words,
如果你即将参加托福或雅思考试,我希望你能用一些这样的词,
because they can help you in terms of your vocabulary mark,
因为他们真的能给你的词汇加分,
as well as they can help you with your grammar and pronunciation.
还能帮助你学习语法和发音。
I also want to invite you to come visit our website at www.engvid.com.
此外,我还想邀请大家试试我们的网站www.engvid.com。
There, you can actually do a quiz to practice all of these words,
上面还有随堂小测验供大家练习巩固今天学到的所有词汇,
and to make sure that you understand them and that you can use them.
确保已经把它们都掌握牢了,会用了。
I wish you luck if you're doing the IELTS or if you're doing the TOEFL,
最后就祝大家好运啦,如果你马上要考雅思或者托福的话,
or if you're simply learning English.
如果你只是在学英语没有要考试,那也祝你好运。
Until next time, take care.
那我们下期节目再见啦,大家照顾好自己噢。