手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语视频听力 > 美国名师英文词汇视频课程 > 正文

帆船有关词汇的学习(2)

来源:可可英语 编辑:hoy   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

So, here are our idioms. First one: All in the same boat.

这就是我们要学的习语。第一个:一条绳上的蚂蚱。
If we're all in the same boat, like I was when I went on a hundred-mile race
如果我们都在同一条船上,就像我参加百里赛时一样,
and we were on it for 24 hours, we were all in the same situation.
我们在船上待24小时,我们的处境都一样。
We were all on the same team. This idiom, all in the same boat, yep, it's the same for all of us.
我们都在一个团队里。这个习语,一条绳上的蚂蚱,我们的处境都一样。
The cameraman is working just as hard as I am. To push the boat out.
摄影师和我一样努力工作。不惜力量。
Let's push the boat out, meaning let's take a risk.
不惜力量,意思是让我们冒险。
If you think about the boat that headed off to the New World from Plymouth down in England.
如果你想想那艘从英格兰普利茅斯出发去新大陆的船。
To push the boat out, let's take that big risk. Ah, I've written this wrong. To miss the boat.
不惜力量,我们就冒这个大风险。啊,我写错了。错失良机。
So, think of that ship going off to the New World. If you miss the boat, then you are not on it.
想想那艘去新世界的船。如果你错过了这条船,那么你就登不上这条船。
And you've missed out on this opportunity. To miss the boat, to miss an opportunity.
你错过了这次机会。错失良机,错过机会。
There's a song by Bob Marley, in which he's singing about "I don't want my boat to be rocked".
有一首鲍勃·马利的歌,他唱的是“我不想让我的船失去平衡”。
Okay, if you rock the boat, you upset the balance.
如果你“rock the boat”,你就失去了平衡。
So, to rock the boat means to unbalance, cause unnecessary problems.
它的意思就是失去平衡,导致不必要的问题。
Like ships that pass in the night. Like ships that pass in the night.
像黑夜里过往的船。像黑夜里过往的船。
This is comparing two people to being ships or boats.
这是把两个人比作船。
So, it's like one person gets up very, very, very, very early and comes back just as this person is going off to do that.
就像一个人起得非常非常早,回来的时候正好这个人要去做这件事。
So, like ships passing in the night, they see the lights of the other boat, but that's it.
就像夜晚过往的船只,他们看到的是另一艘船的灯光,但仅此而已。
And these people, they're on two different schedules, two time tables, and they don't really see each other.
而这些人,他们的时间表不同,两个时间表,他们并没有真正看到对方。
To jump ship means you abandon the ship that you are on. So, it means you change what you're doing.
跳船意味着你放弃了你所坐的船。所以,这意味着你要改变你正在做的事情。
If you jump ship from a business, then you leave it and you go and work somewhere else.
如果你跳槽了,那你就离开它去别的地方工作了。
I'll come to our character ones at the end. Now, the actual process of sailing.
我将在最后讲到形容性格的表达。现在,航行的实际过程。
So, plain sailing is when everything is going fine, yep.
一帆风顺是指一切都很顺利。
The sun's shining, the wind is not too little, it's not too much, and you can just sail.
阳光灿烂,风不小也不大,你可以扬帆远航了。
So, plain sailing, no problem. This is easy.
一帆风顺,没问题。这是很容易的。
To sail through, it means - same idea of the travel being relatively effortless.
轻易完成,意思是,跟旅行一样,不怎么费劲。
If you sail through your exams, then you passed them and it's not too much work and it's, you know, no problem.
如果你轻松完成了考试,然后你就通过了考试,不需要太多的工作,没什么问题。
Like, I've got really good grades, great. I sailed through them.
我分数很好,很棒。我轻松完成了考试。
So, why are we doing these idioms? What's the point in doing them?
为什么我们要学习这些习语呢?学习它们的意义是什么?
I was just speaking about this, and we decided that the purpose of it is so that you can recognize them
我们只是讲讲这个,我们觉得目的就是,你在看电影时可以认出它们,
when you're watching a film or you're listening to an audiobook and you recognize these idioms.
或者你在听有声书时认出它们。
It's nice to understand all of the language when you're watching something, but more than that, it's good to be able to use this stuff.
当你在看什么东西的时候,理解所有的语言是很好的,但更重要的是,能够使用这些表达是很好的。
So, as we're going through, if you're like, "Ah, yeah, I really like that one", then make the effort of trying to use it.
所以,在我们进行的过程中,如果你想,“啊,是的,我真的很喜欢那个表达”,那么就努力尝试使用它。
To sail close to the wind. This means to be quite risky, yep.
随风航行。意思要冒很大的风险。
I showed you earlier that you can't sail directly into the wind, yep.
我之前向你们展示过,你不能直接在风中航行,是的。
So, this is impossible, and you're choosing to be just possible, yep.
所以,这是不可能的,而你选择的仅仅是可能的,是的。
You're taking risk. To sail close to the wind, to take risk.
你在冒险。随风航行,冒险。
To hit rock bottom. So, here's our boat, and we can't see that under the water, there is rock.
跌到谷底。这是我们的船,我们看不见水下有岩石。
If you hit rock bottom, then you're in the worst possible situation, because you're going to drown, maybe.
如果你跌到谷底,那你就处在最坏的情况下,因为你可能会被淹死。

帆船有关词汇的学习(2).png

So, hitting rock bottom, the worst possible place to be.

触底,就是最糟糕的情况。
Now, if we hit the rock, then water is going to start coming into the boat, and we need to get that water out.
如果我们撞到岩石,水就会开始进入船里,我们需要把水弄出来。
So, we're going to get something to scoop it out, a bailer. We're going to bail the water out.
我们要找个东西把它舀出来,舀舱水的人。我们要把水舀出来。
So, this is an effort, an attempt to get out of trouble.
这是一种努力,一种摆脱麻烦的尝试。
So, if someone is in prison and they need to be bailed out,
如果有人在监狱里,他们需要保释,
then someone is trying to get them out of trouble, at least temporarily.
然后有人试图让他们摆脱麻烦,至少是暂时的。
All hands on deck. Deck is like the surface of the boat.
紧急集合。甲板就像是船的表面。
All hands mean the people who are working on the boat.
“All hands”是指在船上工作的人。
So, everyone needs to be here right now to get the water out of the boat.
每个人都必须马上到这里把水从船上捞出来。
All hands of deck means everyone help right now. To show someone the ropes.
“All hands of deck”指的是全体船员都来帮忙。传授秘诀。
Now, if you go onto a big yacht or, you know, one where, like, three masts, a tall ship, something like that.
如果你登上一艘大游艇,你知道,有三根桅杆,一艘高大的船,诸如此类。
You'll notice that it's incredibly complicated, all these different ropes.
你会注意到它非常复杂,所有这些不同的绳子。
And if you're new onto that boat or ship, you'll want someone to explain how everything works.
如果你是这条船或这条船的新成员,你会希望有人来解释一切是如何运作的。
You'll want them to show you the ropes.
你会想让他们告诉你做事的窍门。
So, if someone shows you the ropes, then they are giving you basically an induction.
如果某人告诉你窍门,那么他们基本上就是在给你一个归纳。
They're giving you a guide to how things work. To run a tight ship.
他们给你一个如何工作的指南。管理一艘严密的船。
A tight ship is a well organized one. Everything is in the right place.
模范舰船是组织良好的舰船。每样东西都放在正确的地方。
Now, if you run a tight ship, then you run an organized household or business or whatever it is.
如果你管理的是一个严格的组织,那么你就管理了一个有组织的家庭或企业。
You know where the money's coming in, you know where it's coming out.
你知道从哪里挣钱,花到什么地方。
Everything's kind of clean and correct and as it should be.
所有的东西都很干净,很正确,应该是这样的。
Now, right at the bottom, we have a couple of more which are sort of describing character.
在下面,我们有更多的一些表达,它们是形容性格的。
So, this is a very old expression here, to show your true colors.
这是一个很老的表达,显露你的真面目。
Now, back in the time when wars happened on water, Spanish boats - probably the English did it as well - sometimes hoisted,
在发生水上战争的年代,西班牙的船只——可能英国也有过这种做法——有时会升起,
yep, they lifted up a flag that was not their own to trick the enemy in thinking that they were someone else.
是的,他们举起了一面不是他们自己的旗帜来欺骗敌人,让敌人以为他们是别人。
And when they finally showed their true colors, then the enemy was surprised.
当他们终于露出真面目时,敌人吃了一惊。
So, if you show your true colors, it means that you actually show that you are bad.
如果你露出真面目,意思是实际上你表现出你很坏。
It's normally got a negative connotation, this.
它通常是负面的含义,这个。
So, maybe if a child is found guilty of stealing from a shop,
也许如果一个孩子被发现从商店偷东西,
the parent might say, "Oh, you've really shown your true colors, haven't you?" Yeah.
家长可能会说,“哦,你真的展示了你的本色,不是吗?”是的。
Okay. To keep one's head - it can be positive as well, but more often, it's negative with this one.
它也可以有积极的含义,但是更常见的是负面的含义。
Next, to keep one's head above water. If you go under, then you're not surviving.
接下来,使自己免于负债。如果你破产了,你就无法存活了。
That's actually a phrase too. To go under means you're kind of going bankrupt.
这也是一个短语。它的意思是你破产了。
So, if you keep your head above water, then you are surviving, just. To be in deep water.
如果你免于负债,然后你就存活了。陷入困境。
So, if our boat starts to fill up with water and we are a long way from land, then we're in deep water.
如果我们的船开始灌满水,而我们又离陆地很远,那么我们就陷入了困境。
We are in big, big trouble. Okay? So, quite a few useful idioms for you to try and learn and absorb.
我们就有大麻烦了。讲了很多有用的习语,你可以尝试学习和吸收。
Why don't you start that process now by doing the quiz? Thanks very much for watching, I hope you've subscribed to my channel.
你为什么不现在就从做小测验开始呢?非常感谢收看,我希望你已经订阅了我的频道。
Lots of work goes into the making of these videos, so we really appreciate it if you do help us to try to grow the channel.
制作这些视频需要大量的工作,所以如果你能帮助我们发展这个频道,我们真的很感激。
Okay, see you next time.
好了,我们下次再见。

重点单词   查看全部解释    
opportunity [.ɔpə'tju:niti]

想一想再看

n. 机会,时机

 
bail [beil]

想一想再看

n. 杓,保释,保证金,担保人,把手 vt. 往外舀水,

联想记忆
appreciate [ə'pri:ʃieit]

想一想再看

vt. 欣赏,感激,赏识
vt. 领会,充分意

联想记忆
impossible [im'pɔsəbl]

想一想再看

adj. 不可能的,做不到的
adj.

联想记忆
flag [flæg]

想一想再看

n. 旗,旗帜,信号旗
vt. (以旗子)标出

联想记忆
haven ['heivn]

想一想再看

n. 港口,避难所,安息所 v. 安置 ... 于港中,

联想记忆
temporarily ['tempərerili]

想一想再看

adv. 暂时地,临时地

 
abandon [ə'bændən]

想一想再看

v. 放弃,遗弃,沉溺
n. 放纵

联想记忆
complicated ['kɔmplikeitid]

想一想再看

adj. 复杂的,难懂的
动词complica

 
effortless ['efətlis]

想一想再看

adj. 容易的,不费力气的

联想记忆

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。