手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语视频听力 > 畅游海底世界 > 正文

追踪大肚鲱(下)

来源:可可英语 编辑:sara   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

ToWith a clever electronic fish counter placed in a narrow section of the river through which all the fish must pass.

在所有的鱼都会通过的狭窄河段,放置一个设计精巧的鱼量电子计数器。
We are now using this resistive counter, which is an electrical device that counts fish swimming though a series of PVC pipes,
我们现在使用的是这种电阻式计数器,这种电子装置能计算通过一系列PVC管的鱼群游动次数,
and those pipes have hose clamps in them that are weakly electrified.
这些带有弱电的管子里有软管夹。
And the fish's own electrical conductance will get counted as it swims through the pipe.
鱼从管道中游过时,它自己的电导也会被计算出来。
It's very cool technology.
这是种超酷的技术。
So you can see by looking in the box, over the last 24 hour period, how many fish have swum through each pipe.
你能从盒子里看到,在过去的24小时里,游过每根管子的鱼量。
So what are you getting for numbers?
有多少条?
If you would like to read them off to me I will record them here.
如果你读出来的话,我会记录在这里。
So, number one is 82, number two is 61, number three is 143, number four is 61, number five is 8.
第一个数82,第二个是61,第三个143,第四个61,第五个8。
I guess they don't like number five.
我猜它们不喜欢5号。
Number six is 1—they really don't like number 6.
6号是1,它们真的不喜欢6号。
Number seven is 85, number eight is 3292.
七号是85,八号是3292。
They really like number 8!
它们真的很喜欢8号!
I think they do!
我想它们是这样的!
Number nine is 1076.
九号是1076。
And the whole thing runs on a couple car batteries?
整个设备由几块汽车电池供电?
It does.
是的。
So how long can it run before you have to swap out or charge it or…
它能运行多久,需要进行更换、充电或者……
The manufacturer says it can run up to two weeks.
厂家说它可以运行两周。
We don't typically let it run that long.
我们一般不会让它持续运行那么久。
We just want to ensure that we don't lose any data, so that's why we collect it on a daily basis.
我们只想确保不会丢失任何数据,所以我们每天都会收集数据。
Once I have recorded the information I now just reset the counter and it zeros out.
一旦记录了信息,现在只要重置计数器,它就会归零。
We start all over again.
重新开始。
How often do you read it?
你多久查看一次读数?
Once a day.
一天一次。
Every day you've got to drive up here and read that?
每天你都要开车过来看吗?
Well, there's a few of us that are doing it so…I'm on the weekend shift.
我们中的一些人做这件事,我周末上班。
Because of the dam, the success of the entire spawning run depends on the fishways.
因为大坝,整个产卵过程的成功取决于鱼道。
So Chris, tell me about this fish ladder.
克里斯,给我讲讲这个鱼梯。
So this is a Denil style fishway.
这是一种牛仔风格的鱼道。
So you have a concrete trough that is broken up with these wooden baffles.
有一个混凝土槽,用这些木制挡板隔开。
And you can't see the bottom of the baffles but it's like a picture frame.
看不到挡板的底部,但它就像一个相框。

mqdefault.jpg

And so there's wood on the bottom as well as on the sides and the wood blocks the current to give the fish a resting spot.

底部和侧面都有木头,木头阻挡水流,给鱼一个休息的地方。
So even though it looks like the water is moving very quickly,
尽管看起来水流湍急,
at the bottom there is very little current because the wood is blocking the current.
但底部的水流很小,因为木头挡住了水流。
So the fish can swim up the fishway one baffle at a time, resting on their way.
鱼可以游到鱼道上,一次过一个挡板,游的时候休息。
And so if you were to put your camera into the bottom of the fishway,
如果把摄像机放在鱼道的底部,
you would see fish calmly resting before they shoot up through the fast water to take another rest.
能看到鱼在静静地休息,然后会从湍急的水流中冲上去再休息。
So that's how the fishway works.
这就是鱼道的工作原理。
As much fun as it is to watch fish climb the fishway and go through the fish counter,
看着鱼爬上鱼道,穿过鱼量计数器很有趣,
I'm betting it will be more fun to hop in the water with the fish.
但我打赌,和鱼一起跳入水中会更有趣。
Just walking down the street with a 50 pound camera housing.
带着一个50磅重的摄像头走在街上。
Nothing unusual.
没什么不寻常的。
Nothing to see here.
这里没什么可看的。
While carrying the camera to the water is awkward, at least I don't need my scuba tanks.
虽然把摄像机带到水里有点怪,但至少我不需要氧气瓶了。
I don't even need a mask!
我甚至不需要面具!
First a few quick camera adjustments… and then I join the fish in the river.
先快速调整一下摄像机,然后我进入河中和鱼一起游了起来。
As long as I hold still, the fish get used to me and they treat my camera like just another rock.
只要我不动,鱼就会习惯,它们把我的摄像机当成另一块石头。
They swim right up to the lens.
它们一直游到镜头前。
With the monitor mounted on top of the camera, I barely even have to get wet.
监视器安装在摄像机顶部,我几乎不用弄湿自己。
But that 58 F° water makes me glad I put on a wetsuit!
但是14度的水温,让我对自己穿上潜水衣感到很高兴!
It's weird being right in the middle of so many fish that are not afraid.
在这么多不害怕人的鱼中间游动真是怪异。
It's not common for me to get so close to a school of fish.
对我来说,离鱼群这么近是不常见的。
This is amazing!
太棒了!
Eventually I settle down into a deeper spot and relax.
最后我在一个更深的地方安顿下来,放松一下。
The fish don't even mind my feet.
鱼甚至不介意我的脚。
They have spawning to do and some guy in a wetsuit isn't going to stop them.
它们要产卵,而穿着潜水服的人是不会让它们停下来的
Due to the efforts of a relatively small number of people who set out to make a difference,
由于一小部分人的努力,
the spawning population of alewife on just one river in Maine has more than tripled in only 4 years.
缅因州一条河中的大肚鲱产卵量仅在4年内就增加了两倍多。
It goes to show that sometimes a little effort can make a big difference.
这表明,有时一点点努力就能产生很大的影响。
And while sitting in a river in Maine may not seem as exotic as many of my filming expeditions,
虽然坐在缅因州的一条河里,可能不像拍摄的许多探险那样充满异国情调,
I'm constantly amazed by the new things I learn everywhere I go.
但我总是对所到之处学到的新东西感到惊讶。
Even a small river in downeast Maine can be a fantastic journey into the blue world.
即使是缅因州东部沿海地区的一条小河,也能成为进入蓝色世界的奇妙旅程。

重点单词   查看全部解释    
device [di'vais]

想一想再看

n. 装置,设计,策略,设备

 
ladder ['lædə]

想一想再看

n. 梯子,阶梯,梯状物
n. (袜子)

 
current ['kʌrənt]

想一想再看

n. (水、气、电)流,趋势
adj. 流通的

联想记忆
counter ['kauntə]

想一想再看

n. 计算器,计算者,柜台
[计算机] 计数器

 
fantastic [fæn'tæstik]

想一想再看

adj. 极好的,难以置信的,奇异的,幻想的

 
frame [freim]

想一想再看

n. 框,结构,骨架
v. 构成,把 ...

 
constantly ['kɔnstəntli]

想一想再看

adv. 不断地,经常地

 
concrete ['kɔnkri:t]

想一想再看

adj. 具体的,实质性的,混凝土的
n. 水

联想记忆
unusual [ʌn'ju:ʒuəl]

想一想再看

adj. 不平常的,异常的

联想记忆
counted [kaunt]

想一想再看

vt. 计算;认为 vi. 计数;有价值 n. 计数;计

 

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。