Breakfast is a savory meal where I live in Bharuch.
在我们巴鲁奇这个地方,早餐是非常可口的一顿饭。
And we can make it more spicy if you like it and less spicy if you don't like it.
您喜欢的话我们可以做得辣一点,如果您不喜欢,我们也可以做不辣一点。
We could eat grits in the South just about every day.
我们南方(人)天天吃棒子面儿粥(都吃不腻)。
It is a very popular breakfast food.
这是很受欢迎的一种早餐。
We're gonna begin in Vietnam because this breakfast soup really challenged me to rethink about what a breakfast food is.
我们先从越南开始讲吧,因为这种早餐汤真的让我对什么是早餐有了新的思考。
We're beginning with eel soup.
让鳝鱼汤为我们打头阵吧。
In Kenya, breakfast can be a simple affair,
在肯尼亚,早餐可以是一件很简单的事情,
but their versions of fried dough look way better than anything I've tried here in New York.
但他们的油炸面团看起来比我在纽约尝试过的任何版本都要好得多。
I believe that cheese is always a great idea for breakfast.
我觉得早餐吃奶酪总是不会错的。
And then I found this dish from Turkey and I just...
然后,我发现了这道来自土耳其的菜,然后我就……
We had to film it.
我必须得把它拍下来。
Breakfast in the US has serious range, but it is way more than waffles and pancakes.
美国有各式各样的早餐,远不止华夫饼和煎饼。
And in the South they do it right.
而他们南方人做的早餐才是最正确的早餐。
Breakfast is a very important meal of the day.
早餐是一天中非常重要的一餐。
However, when it comes to having grits,
但说到棒子面儿粥,
it's typically something that you might see happening more often on the weekend.
大家可能在周末看到的比较多。
My name is Darius Williams and I live in Atlanta, Georgia.
我叫达利厄斯·威廉姆斯,住在佐治亚州的亚特兰大。
A typical breakfast in the South includes fish and grits.
典型的南方早餐是鱼配棒子面儿粥。
Although you can get grits pretty much all over the country,
虽然大家在全国各地都能吃到棒子面儿粥,
they're very, very popular in lots of southern states simply because grits come from the Native Americans,
但这种早餐在南方的很多州都非常非常受欢迎,就因为它是来自原住民的一种美食,
and we sort of have adopted them in the South.
我们就延续了他们的这种早餐。
I learned how to make grits from watching my grandmother.
我是看我奶奶做学会的。
I would just literally sit in awe and watch her as she caressed that pot of grits into the creamy delicacy that it is.
我就乖乖地坐在一边,看着她把那一罐棒子面变成奶油一样的美味。
For catfish and grits we're gonna take catfish filets.
做鲶鱼棒子面儿粥的时候要用到鲶鱼鱼片。
And they're gonna get soaked in buttermilk and then deep fried until they're golden brown and delicious.
先把鱼片放到白脱牛奶里滚一遍,然后油炸,炸至两面金黄,色香诱人。
We're gonna put that on top of some amazing, creamy, wonderful grits.
把炸好的鱼片放到奶油状,看着就特有食欲的棒子面儿粥上。
We're gonna do a little bit of tomato right on top.
再在上面放点儿西红柿。
'Cause what else is Southern besides tomato, catfish and grits with a little bit of cream.
毕竟,西红柿、鲶鱼配棒子面儿粥就是最具特色的南方早餐啦。
It is to die for.
就算拿命换都可以。
The most difficult part about making grits is getting it to be the right consistency.
熬棒子面儿粥最难的地方是要把它的稠度控制得恰到好处。
You can't rush it.
心急就吃不了热豆腐。
This is a thing of love.
这是充满爱的一种食物。
When I think about what happens over a pot of grits,
当我想到一碗棒子面儿粥的时候,
it is hearing the laughter and the conversation between all of our families sort of connecting and spending time with each other.
我仿佛就能听到和家人在一起的欢声笑语。
I firmly believe that food and cooking is the way to connect with your family.
我坚信,食物和烹饪就是维系亲情最好的办法。