Can I bear the consciousness that every endearment he bestows is a sacrifice made on principle?
我能忍受他所给予的每份爱是对原则的一次牺牲这种意识吗?
No: such a martyrdom would be monstrous.
不,这样的殉道太可怕了。
I will never undergo it.
我决不能承受。
As his sister, I might accompany him -- not as his wife: I will tell him so."
我可以作为他的妹妹,而不是他的妻子来陪伴他,我一定要这么告诉他。”
I looked towards the knoll: there he lay, still as a prostrate column;
我朝土墩望去,他躺在那里,一动不动,像根倒地的柱子。
his face turned to me: his eye beaming watchful and keen.
他的脸朝着我,眼睛闪着警觉锐利的光芒。
He started to his feet and approached me.
他猛地立起向我走来。
"I am ready to go to India, if I may go free."
“我准备去印度,要是我可以自由自在地去。”
"Your answer requires a commentary," he said; "it is not clear."
“你的回答需要解释一下,”他说,“不清楚。”
"You have hitherto been my adopted brother -- I, your adopted sister:
“你至今一直是我的义兄,而我是你的义妹。
let us continue as such: you and I had better not marry."
让我们这么过下去吧,你我还是不要结婚好。”
He shook his head.
他摇了摇头。
"Adopted fraternity will not do in this case.
“在这种情况下义兄义妹是行不通的。
If you were my real sister it would be different: I should take you, and seek no wife.
如果你是我的亲妹妹,那便是另外一回事了,我会带着你,而不另找妻子。
But as it is, either our union must be consecrated and sealed by marriage, or it cannot exist:
而现在的情况是,我们的结合要么非得以婚姻来奉献和保证,要么这种结合就不能存在。
practical obstacles oppose themselves to any other plan.
现实的障碍不允许有其他打算。
Do you not see it, Jane?
你难道没有看到这一点吗,简?
Consider a moment -- your strong sense will guide you."
考虑一下吧——你的坚强的理智会引导你。”