Einstein says that our planet is distorting the spacetime.
爱因斯坦称我们的地球正在弯曲时空。
And it's this curving of the fabric of the universe that creates the effect we feel as gravity.
这个宇宙构造的弯曲造成了我们所感觉的引力。
The bigger the mass, or the nearer you are to an object, the more curved the spacetime becomes,
质量越大,或者你越靠近物体时空就越弯曲,
and so the stronger is the effect of gravity.
所以引力的作用就越强。
It sounds impossible to prove, yet the fact that spacetime is distorted by the Earth
听起来似乎无法得到证明,然而事实上,时空被地球所弯曲
is something many of us have to contend with every day, whether we know it or not.
却是我们许多人每天都在对付的事情,不管你了解还是不了解。
Einstein's understanding of gravity is crucial for the correct working
爱因斯坦对引力的认识是让20世纪最有用的发明之一
of one of the most useful innovations of the 20th century.
正确发挥作用的关键。
SATNAV: Select destination.
请选择目的地。
It's the gadget that's revolutionised how we get around.
这是彻底改变我们旅行的小工具。
It's what we've relied on to navigate across America.
这是我们在美国境内旅行所依赖的东西。
SATNAV: Calculating route.
正在设计路线。
It's the global positioning system, or GPS.
这是全球定位系统,简称GPS
Right turn in 4.9 miles.
右转4.9英里。
We're heading to GPS headquarters, just south of Denver, Colorado, but we're running a bit late.
我们正前往GPS总部,就在科罗拉多州丹佛的南部,但是我们走得有点迟缓了。
'Approaching U-turn.'
接近掉头。
What were you using, a GPS satellite navigation system?
你正在用的是GPS卫星导航系统?
Where were you going? GPS headquarters.
你要去哪?GPS总部。
Did you get there on time?
你会准时到吗?
No, we got lost!
不,我已经迷路了!