But they enjoyed the process and they worked harder. Look at this slight manipulation.
但是他们享受这个过程 并且更加努力 看看这微小的操纵带来的结果
Simply one sentence-"oh you are so smart!" Oh you are working so hard!
简简单单的一个句子“你真聪明” 你真努力
One sentence lead to this significant difference.
一句话带来了这么明显的不同
In her words-"Emphasizing effort gives a child a variable that they can control.
用她的话来说 “重视努力让孩子拥有一个他自己能掌控的变量
They come to see themselves as in control of their success.
这能让他们认为自己能掌控自己的成功
Emphasizing natural intelligence takes it out of the child's control,
强调自然的天赋让孩子们无法掌控成功
and it provides no good recipe for responding to a failure."
这不会给孩子提供面对失败的方法。”
Essentially what happens when you focus only on the intelligence,
事实上当你仅仅注重于天赋的时候
on how smart you are, you are creating the perfectionist schema,
你就是在制造完美主义的基模
as opposed to a schema that focuses on the journey, effort, hard work.
而不是专注于旅途当中努力的基模
She continues-"When you praise kids' in telligence and then they fail,
她继续说道“如果你称赞孩子的智力 当他们失败时
they think they're not smart anymore, and they lose interest in their work.
他们会认为自己不再聪明 然后失去对于眼前工作的兴趣
In contrast, kids praised for effort show no impairment and often are energized in the face of difficulty."
相反 那些被称赞努力的孩子 在困难面前不会气馁 甚至更有动力。”
What a difference just based on these two approaches.
这两种方式造成了多么明显的不同
Person who is praised for their intelligence creates this schema-either I'm intelligent or I'm not.
被称赞智力的人会产生这样的基模:要么我很聪明 要么我就不聪明
And I'm afraid of not being intelligent, so I'll choose the easier task.
我很畏惧不聪明 所以我就选择容易一点的任务吧
And when I can't do something, it's an attack, it's an insult on my schema, right?
当我无法做到的时候 这就是攻击 是对于我的基模的侮辱 没错吧?
It's a deviation from this straight narrow.
这是对于直线的偏离
In contrast, if effort is most important, OK, let me see what's around the corner here.
相对的 如果努力才是最重要的 那么好的 就让我试试看吧