And when we have this schema in our mind, we are putting ourselves, fighting nature,
当我们心中存在着这样的基模的时候 我们就在让自己反抗自然规律
and just like we would lead an unhappy and frustrating life, if we did not accept the law of gravity,
就如我们如果不接受万有引力定律的话 我们的生活就会充满不快与沮丧
we live and so many people live-so many people at Harvard,
我们活着 那么多人也活着 哈佛有不少人
not just at Harvard, everywhere are frustrated constantly,
不只是哈佛 所有地方都有 时常沮丧
because in their minds, they have this schema.
因为在他们心里 他们一直有这样的基模
And again, this does not mean that we enjoy failure.
再说一遍 这并不是说我们该享受失败
But when we have this schema, in addition to not enjoying failure,
但当我们有这样的基模的时候 同时又不享受失败
we have the frustration of not accepting reality.
我们就会因为难以接受事实而沮丧
Now there are consequences to having this schema.
拥有这样的基模也会有后果的
I want to discuss some of these consequences and some of the characteristics of a person who holds this schema.
我就想讨论一下这样的后果 怀有拥有这样的基模的人的一些特征
Now there is no perfect perfectionist. As I said, we all exist somewhere along the continuum.
根本就没有完美的完美主义者 就如我说的 我们都存在于一个闭区间内
And there are many people, again, many people here were closer to this end of the continuum.
确实有一些人 确实有很多人更接近这个区间的这端
The characteristics that I'd like to share with you are all ones that are documented in literature.
我想和你们分享的这些特征 都是那些已经被记载于文学作品之内的
There are many people who have them.
有很多人都拥有这样的特征
You will identify with some of the characteristics, not with others. That's fine.
你们大家或多或少都具有一些这样的特征 而不是别的特征 这也没关系的
All the characteristics in addtion to being well documented in
所有的这些特征 除了都已被心理学着作
the psychological literature are also ones that I experienced, or still experience.
详述以外 我也都有过体会 或者现在仍有所体会
So these ones are personally meaningful to me, in addtion to being also quite common.
所以这些特征对我来说具有一定的意义 它们本身也非常常见
The first one: defensiveness.
第一个是 自卫性