手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语视频听力 > 沃克斯独立观点 > 正文

美妆文化给我们带来的伤害(3)

来源:可可英语 编辑:hepburn   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

"So the top answers for women were physical attractiveness, and then empathy, nurturing, and kindness.

“女性这边,出现频率最高的答案是外貌的吸引力,接着是同理心/涵养/善良。

The top answers for men were honesty, and morality, actually, and then second was professional and financial success.

而男性这边,出现频率最高的答案是诚实/道德,其次是事业有成/经济富足。

So those are adults.

这些都是成年人的看法。

But maybe it's getting better with the next generation.

说不定,下一代给的答案会好一些。

Well, last year they did a survey of American teenagers and they asked them the same question,

事实上,去年他们又找美国的青少年做了个调查,问的还是那个问题,

except for instead of men and women, it was what does society value most in girls and what does society value most in boys?

只不过这次针对的不再是成年的男性和女性,而是社会分别最看重女孩儿和男孩儿的哪些特质?

Okay, so, physical attractiveness was at the top of the list for girls.

下面我们来看一下,外貌的吸引力依然排在了女生列表的最前面。

In fact, there was even more consensus among teenagers than there was among adults that this is what society values in girls."

事实上,他们比成年人更加认同女孩儿的外貌是大众最看重的东西这一观点。”

"I feel like I have noticed that our commenters pay a lot of attention to how you two look and not so much with us."

“我感觉我已经注意到,网友们的评论对你俩的外貌的关注要比对我俩的外貌的关注多得多。”

"Yeah, we've noticed that, too." "Yeah."

“没错,我们也注意到了。”“嗯。”

"But I would say that, like, mostly they're positive about you guys."

“但我还是要说,他们对你俩的评价大部分都是正面的。”

"In so far as positive comments about our appearance are positive.

“也就是那些给我们正面评价的评论才是正面的。

A lot of that is just so gross."

还有很多是超级恶心的。”

"It's gross, and also we are trying to look pretty on camera." "Right."

“是很恶心,即便如此,我们还要努力地让镜头里的自己形象好一点。”“对。”

"So where does that leave us? Like, we are trying, and we have makeup on."

“问题是结果又如何呢?我们已经很努力了,也化妆了。”

"And I think that if someone comments on this video and says, you know,

“我觉得就算有人在这条视频的评论里说,

'Hey, you guys are talking about these beauty norms and you're benefiting directly from them,' I think that's a reasonable critique."

‘呵呵,你们明明就是这些美妆规则的直接受益人,还在这儿聊个什么劲。’我也会觉得他说得有道理。”

"And actually this is a really widespread issue.

“事实上这是一个普遍存在的问题。

There's a lot of research that shows that they way a woman looks, you know, her weight, how much makeup she wears,

有很多研究表明一个女性的外貌,比如她的体重,她化的妆是否精致,

can affect things like her earnings, and how her personality is perceived."

是会影响到她的收入以及大家对她的性格的看法的。”

"It's kind of like...every aspect of your life you're getting stared at and judged."

“给人感觉……你生活的方方面面都会受到打量和评判。”

"And I think this all comes from this cultural context that I've been telling you guys about that dates back centuries,

“我觉得这都是因为我跟你们说的那个文化背景,那个已经存在了数百年的文化背景——

which is a world that cares a lot about the insides of men and the outsides of women."

我们的社会是一个高度关注男性的内在和女性的外在的社会。"

"And this is all causing what psychologist Renee Engeln calls 'beauty sickness.'

"心理学家蕾妮·恩格伦所说的‘爱美病’就是这么来的。

It comes from a culture that is absolutely obsessed with how women look."

这种病往往发生在对女性外貌着魔的文化环境里。

"A woman's hair is like a work of art. It must have balance and composition."

“女性的秀发就好比一件艺术品。必须要讲究平衡,讲究构图。”

"This culture that never misses a moment to comment on a woman's appearance, to criticize it."

“我们的文化从不放过任何一个对女性的外貌指手画脚甚至是指摘的机会。”

"She looks quite, uh-- She looks tired. She's under pressure. She looks tired."

“她看上去很……她看着很憔悴。她看着压力好大。一脸憔悴。”

"Look at that face. Can you imagine that the face of our next president?"

“看看那张脸。你能想象那张脸便是我们下一任总统的脸吗?”

"That purple on you looks spectacular."

“你今天穿的紫色上衣美极了。”

"To keep drawing out attention over and over again to how we look."

“没完没了地把我们的关注点锁定在我们的外貌上。”

"I have a beautiful daughter."

“我有一个非常漂亮的女儿。”

"Two beautiful daughters."

“两个漂亮的女儿。”

"My beautiful daughters."

“我漂亮的女儿们。”

"Jenny, you've lost your baby weight it looks like already."

“Jenny,看起来你产后减肥已经成功了。”

"The world has watched you age. Has that been a difficult thing to live through?"

“全世界都在盯着你的年龄,这事儿有没有困扰到你呢?”

"You are that sort of poster child for aging gracefully." "Aging gracefully."

“你就是那种老也老地很优雅的人的代表。”“老也要老地优雅。”

"And the minute your focus shifts to thinking about how you look, it did shift away from something else.

“一旦你将你的注意力转移到你的外貌上,你确实就不会揪着那件事不妨了。

To me, that's where the sickness is."

但对我来说,问题恰好就出在这里。”

"And this guy who went to the school down the street got on the bus and he was like, 'Oh, your legs are so hairy.'

“然后,那个要去街那头的学校上学的男生上车了,他就说,‘哇,你腿毛好多啊。’

And I was like, 'Oh, I guess they are.'

我就说,‘啊,好像是挺多的。’

And I went home that day and went and got a razor.

那天回家我就找了个剃刀。

I splashed it underneath the running tap and I dragged it along my leg.

我拿到水龙头底下冲了冲,就把腿毛给刮了。

I looked at it, and I cleaned it off with my thumb and I split my thumb open."

我看了看刮下来的那些毛,想用大拇指把它们清理下来,结果把我大拇指给划破了。”

"I was super freaked out about getting divorced.

“离婚这事儿让我特别抓狂。

And one of my daughters, who was eight at the time, said to me one day,

我一个女儿,那时候她才8岁,有一天她就跟我说,

'Why do you always look so angry? You have so many lines on your face.'

‘为什么你总是这么生气呢?你脸上都气出好多皱纹了。’

And I was really angry. She was not wrong.

那时候我确实特别生气。但她说的也没错。

And I had to deal with that.

我是有这个问题。

But I almost immediately was like, 'Oh, my God, my face is falling apart.'"

但我当时的第一反应就是,‘啊,完了,我的脸也不行了。’”

"Everybody has a list. My ears stick out."

“每个人都有一张(关于自己外貌缺陷的)单子。比如,我的招风耳。”

I have this vein in my forehead that only comes out when I smile really big.

我额头上有个小缝,我大笑的时候就会显露出来。

So sometimes I worry about that before I smile in a photograph."

所以,有时在镜头面前我就会担心这个问题。”

"My bangs are awkward, but I can't get rid of them because they're hiding my forehead."

“我的刘海儿很尬,但我还是不能不留刘海,因为它们能帮我遮住我的大额头。”

1

"I have these three chin hairs that are very adventurous."

“我下巴这儿长了三根特别明显的汗毛。”

"And even though I'm really thin, I have cellulite."

“还有就是尽管我已经很瘦了,我还是有赘肉。”

"Every time I feel insecure about something, I guess I do something to make up for it.

“每次我对我身上哪个部位没有安全感,我应该就会想办法去弥补。

Like, my eyebrows, I feel insecure, I dyed it.

比如,我的眉毛让我感觉不安全,我就去染眉毛。

For my ears, I feel insecure, I got piercings.

耳朵让我没有安全感我就去打耳洞。

My eyelashes, I got extensions.

睫毛让我没有安全感我就戴假睫毛。

That's the truth."

是真的。”

"So, it seems like we're being presented this endless list of things that we can do now to beautify ourselves." "Expensive things."

“说起来,有数不尽的美妆用品能够让我们把自己变得更漂亮。”“而且都不便宜。”

"Expensive things."

“一点儿不便宜。”

"Eyelash extensions."

“假睫毛。”

"May be the new standard."

“可能是新的标准。”

"The fastest growing type of cosmetic surgery-- butt implants."

“发展最快的美容手术——丰臀手术。”

"Sparkle tattooing."

“闪粉纹身。”

"The price ranges from $600 to $800." "Microblading."

“价格在600~800美元之间。”“纹眉。”

"It's a form of permanent cosmetic tattooing for your eyebrows."

“一种永久性纹眉手术。”

"The vampire facial uses your own blood on your face."

“吸血鬼面部护理就是用你自己的血给你的脸做护理。”

"And we're gonna show you one of them.

“我俩带你们去体验其中的一种美容手术。

This one."

就是这种。”

"Oh-- Face gym."

“哈……面部健身房。”

"It's a gym for your face."

“就是给你们的面部健身。”

"For your face." "It's a workout for your face."

“是给你们的脸。”“就是给脸部制定的健身。”

"It does kind of scare me because it reminds me of, like, body image, like how they say there's a skinny person hiding beneath you.

“这个确实让我感觉有点怕怕,因为让我想起了那个画面,就是说你的身体里还住着一个苗条的你的画面。

So maybe underneath this face there's a sculpted chiseled chin in there."

所以,或许这张脸下面也住着一张轮廓分明的脸。”

"Yeah." "Oh, my God. That's exactly it." "That is the idea."

“没错。”“天呐,就是这个意思。”“就是这个意思。”

"Are you guys ready?" "Yeah." "I think so."

“你们准备好了吗?”“准备好了。”“差不多吧。”

"Let's do it." "Okay."

“那我们就进去吧。”“好。”

"See you in an hour."

“一个小时之后见啦。”

重点单词   查看全部解释    
awkward ['ɔ:kwəd]

想一想再看

adj. 笨拙的,尴尬的,(设计)别扭的

 
stick [stik]

想一想再看

n. 枝,杆,手杖
vt. 插于,刺入,竖起<

 
absolutely ['æbsəlu:tli]

想一想再看

adv. 绝对地,完全地;独立地

 
critique [kri'ti:k]

想一想再看

n. 批评,批评法,评论

 
morality [mə'ræliti]

想一想再看

n. 道德,美德,品行,道德观

 
context ['kɔntekst]

想一想再看

n. 上下文,环境,背景

联想记忆
affect [ə'fekt]

想一想再看

vt. 影响,作用,感动

联想记忆
composition [.kɔmpə'ziʃən]

想一想再看

n. 作文,著作,组织,合成物,成份

联想记忆
vein [vein]

想一想再看

n. 静脉,纹理,叶脉,岩脉
vt. 使有脉络

 
razor ['reizə]

想一想再看

n. 剃刀

联想记忆

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。