In our everyday world, we're used to absolute, deterministic predictions:
在我们的日常生活中,我们习惯于绝对确定性的预测:
throw a ball in the air, and it'll fall along an ellipse; leave your umbrella parked on the street,
把一个球抛向空中,它会沿着一个椭圆下落;把你的伞方在街上,
and when you come back, it's still there, just one umbrella.
当你回来时,它还是在那里,只是一把伞而已。
Quantum physics is not like this - because quantum mechanics doesn't allow us to make absolute predictions about the future.
量子物理学不是这样的—因为量子力学不允许我们对未来做出绝对的预测。
It only predicts the likelihoods of different outcomes to happen, and doesn't say anything about which one will happen.
它只是预测不同结果发生的可能性,而不会透露会发生哪一种结果。
'Well,' you might say, 'that's the same with the weather - the weatherman only tells you what the chance of rain is;
“好吧,”你可能会说,“这和天气一样——天气预报员只会告诉你下雨的可能性;
he can't tell you whether or not it will rain.' But maybe the weatherman just doesn't have good enough knowledge of exactly
他不能告诉你是否会下雨。”但也许天气预报员对世界上所有的空气
where all of the air and water molecules in the world are,
和水分子的确切位置没有足够的知识,
nor a good enough model of how they interact or a fast enough computer to simulate all of their bajillion interactions.
对它们如何相互作用没有足够好的模型,或者没有足够快的计算机来模拟它们之间的各种相互作用。
Maybe in principle, if he had enough data and a fast enough computer,
也许在理论上,如果他有足够的数据和足够快的电脑,
his weather model could tell you exactly where every raindrop would fall. Right?
他的天气模型可以准确地告诉你每一颗雨滴会落在哪里。对吧?
This reasonable idea, that if you just had more data you could explain everything, is the classical, deterministic view of the universe.
如果你有更多的数据你就可以解释一切—这个合理的想法是经典的确定性的宇宙观。
And for a while, many physicists, including Einstein, thought the same had to be true with quantum mechanics -
有一段时间,许多物理学家,包括爱因斯坦,认为量子力学也一定是如此,
maybe we just didn't have enough information to put into our quantummodels;
也许我们没有足够的信息来建立我们的量子模型;
maybe there were classical variables that were hidden from us and our experiments,
也许有一些经典的变量藏匿在了我们和我们的实验背后,
inputs that explained everything perfectly with no need for quantum mechanics
这些输入不需要量子力学就能完美地解释这一切
and its 'I'll give you 50/50 odds on the cat being dead' mentality.
更不会有‘这只猫在箱子里的死亡率是50%‘,这种话了。
Except, it turns out that we can actually test whether or not this sort of classical,
除此之外,事实证明,我们实际上可以测试这种经典的
underlying explanation of quantum physics can exist even in principle.
基本量子物理学解释是否在原则上存在。
The details are a topic for another video, but the experiments tell us…
其中细节详见我们的另一期视频,但是实验告诉我们
there is no classical, everyday, underlying description of quantum mechanics.
量子力学没有经典日常的潜在描述。
And this means, Einstein, that the universe is quantum mechanical whether you like it with a 50% chance, or not.
这意味着,这个宇宙遵守量子力学原理(包括爱因斯坦)。
ps, I'm excited to announce that MinutePhysics is now supported by MinutePhysics t-shirts.
我很高兴的宣布喜欢我们的观众可购买T恤支持我们。
Get yours now at dftba.com/minutephysics and don't forget to be awesome.
前往dftba.com/minutephysics即可购买。