Similarly, I just directed my first film, A Tale of love in Darkness.
同样,我刚执导了第一部电影,《爱与黑暗的故事》。
I was quite blind to the challenges ahead of me.
我对横在面前的挑战一无所知。
The film is a period film, completely in Hebrew in which I also act with an eight-year-old child as a costar.
这是一部时代片,对白全是希伯来语,我也在片中出演,和8岁的小演员对戏。
All of these are challenges I should have been terrified of, as I was completely unprepared for them
我本该被这些挑战吓到,因为我对此毫无准备,
but my complete ignorance to my own limitations looked like confidence and got me into the director's chair.
但我对自身局限的彻底无知像是种自信,而且让我坐上导演椅。
Once here, I have to figure it all out,
在这个位置上,我必须把这些弄清楚,
and my belief that I could handle these things contrary to all evidence of my ability or do so was only half the battle.
即便所有的证据都显示我能力不足,我仍相信自己能搞定这些事,这还只是战斗的一半。
The other half was very hard work.
另一半靠的是拼命的工作。
The experience was the deepest and most meaningful one of my career.
这场经历是我职业生涯中最深刻也是最有意义的一次。
Now clearly I'm not urging you to go and perform heart surgery without the knowledge to do so!
当然我不是怂恿大家一无所知的情况下就去做心脏手术。
Making movies admittedly has less drastic consequences than most professions and allows for a lot of effects that make up for mistakes.
诚然,跟其他职业相比,拍电影不会带来太严重的后果,而且可以用特效来弥补错误。
The thing I'm saying is, make use of the fact that you don't doubt yourself too much right now.
我要说的是,要好好利用你如今不是那么怀疑自己这件事。
As we get older, we get more realistic, and that includes about our own abilities or lack thereof.
随着年龄增长,我们变得更加现实,这包括对我们自己能力和缺陷的认知。
And that realism does us no favors.
而这种现实对我们没有好处。
People always talk about diving into things you're afraid of. That never worked for me.
人们总说要放手去做你害怕的事。这对我来说行不通。
If I am afraid, I run away. And I would probably urge my child to do the same.
如果我害怕,我就会跑掉,而我也会劝我的孩子这样做。
Fear protects us in many ways.
恐惧在很多方面保护了我们。
What has served me is diving into my own obliviousness.
对我有用的是,投入到自己的无知当中。
Being more confident than I should be which everyone tends to decry American kids,
超越本身的过度自信,人们常用这事来谴责美国孩子,
and those of us who have been grade inflated and ego inflated.
还有那些分数膨胀、自我膨胀的人,
Well. It can be a good thing if it makes you try things you never might have tried.
其实如果能让你尝试从不敢尝试之事,这也未尝不是好事。
Your inexperience is an asset, and will allow you to think in original and unconventional way.
你的无经验是种财富,能让你有原创和跳出常规的点子。
Accept your lack of knowledge and use it as your asset.
接受你经验上的缺乏,把它当成财富来用。