When I got to my graduation, siting where you sit today, after 4 years of trying to get excited about something else,
当年毕业典礼时,坐在你们今天坐的地方,我花了四年时间来寻找其他的东西来让我开心,
I admitted to myself that I couldn't wait to go back and make more films.
我对自己坦白,我真是等不及回去拍更多的电影了。
I wanted to tell stories, to imagine the lives of others and help others do the same.
我想要讲述故事,想想别人的生活,并帮助别人做到同样的事。
I have found or perhaps reclaimed my reason.
我找到了,或者说重拾了我的理由。
You have a prize now or at least you will tomorrow. The prize is Harvard degree in your hand.
你们现在拿到了奖励。那就是你们手中的哈佛毕业证。
But what is your reason behind it?
但你背后的理由是什么?
My Harvard degree represents, for me, the curiosity and invention that were encouraged here, the friendships I've sustained
哈佛学位对我来说,是我在这里被激发的好奇心和创造力,是我维系的友谊,
the way Professor Graham told me not to describe the way light hit a flower but rather the shadow the flower cast,
是格莱安姆教授告诉我不要去描述光线是怎样照进花朵的,而要描述花朵投下的影子,
the way Professor Scarry talked about theater is a trans-formative religious force
是斯卡里教授谈到戏剧是一种变革性的宗教力量,
how professor Coslin showed how much our visual cortex is activated just by imaging.
是凯瑟琳教授向我们展示视皮质只靠想象就可以被激活。
Now granted these things don't necessarily help me answer the most common question I'm asked:
虽然这些知识并不能帮我回答最常遇到的问题:
What designer are you wearing? What's your fitness regime? Any makeup tips?
你穿哪个设计师的作品?你的健身秘诀是什么?能说几个化妆小贴士吗?
But I have never since been embarrassed to myself as what might previously have thought was a stupid question.
但从那之后,我再没有因此前我可能会觉得愚蠢的问题而为自己感到羞愧。
My Harvard degree and other awards are emblems of the experiences which led me to them.
我的哈佛学位以及其他奖项都是我的经历的象征。
The wood paneled lecture halls, the colorful fall leaves,
木制地板的讲堂、多彩的秋叶、
the hot vanilla Toscaninis, reading great novels in overstuffed library chairs,
热香草托斯卡尼尼、在图书馆软椅上阅读精彩小说、
running through dining halls screaming, Ooh! Ah! City steps! City steps! City steps! City steps!
在食堂里边跑边喊:“哦!城市脚步!城市脚步!城市脚步!城市脚步!”