手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语视频听力 > 畅游海底世界 > 正文

探寻河中沉船

来源:可可英语 编辑:sara   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

Next on Jonathan Bird's Blue World, Jonathan explores shipwrecks in the St. Lawrence River!

接下来请收看乔纳森·伯德的《蓝色世界》,乔纳森探索圣劳伦斯河的沉船!
Hi I'm Jonathan Bird, and welcome to my world.
嗨,我是乔纳森·伯德,欢迎来到我的世界!
The Saint Lawrence River is one of the busiest waterways in the world.
圣劳伦斯河是世界上最繁忙的水道之一。
Because it connects the Great Lakes to the Atlantic Ocean, the river has been used for hundreds of years to get cargo to and from ports serving both the United States and Canada within the Great Lakes.
因为这条河连接着大湖区和大西洋,数百年来,这条河一直被用来在大湖区内为美国和加拿大的港口运送货物。
Huge cargo ships travel up and down the St. Lawrence by the hour.
巨大的货船按小时在圣劳伦斯河上航行。
Like any busy waterway, the St. Lawrence has had its share of accidents, and as a result, there are hundreds of shipwrecks on the bottom of the river going back hundreds of years.
像任何繁忙的水道一样,圣劳伦斯河也会发生事故。因此,数百年前,河底有数百起沉船事故的残骸。
Many of these wrecks are remarkably well-preserved time capsules of history.
这些残骸中许多都是时代文物贮藏器。
To learn more about these wrecks, Cameraman Todd and I have driven up to the Thousand Island region of the river to do some diving.
为了进一步了解这些残骸,我和摄影师托德开到千岛湖的河流处去做潜水。
The Thousand Island region is a beautiful community in upstate New York.
千岛湖地区是纽约州北部一个美丽的社区。
There really are over a thousand islands on the river here, and many of them contain incredible homes!
在这条河上真的有一千多个岛屿,其中许多岛屿上都有令人难以置信的美丽家园!
Our guide to the area is famous National Geographic photographer David Doubilet.
我们的导游是著名的国家地理摄影师大卫·杜比莱。
He's a local resident and expert on the nearby wrecks.
他是当地居民,也是附近沉船的专家。
We load the boat, operated by Chris Hunt, of Hunts Dive Shop, and we're off on an adventure!
我们把亨茨潜水店里克里斯·亨特经营的船装好,然后就要去冒险了!
It's a little bit strange for me to be heading out for a dive in fresh water.
去淡水里潜水对我来说有点奇怪。
It smells differently from the sea, and the conditions on the river are calmer than I'm used to.
它的气味闻起来和大海不一样,河上的状况比我习惯的平静。
Chris expertly guides the boat to the first mooring we are visiting today.
克里斯熟练地将船引到我们今天参观的第一个系泊点。
The bow of his boat tilts down like the front of a world war 2 beach landing craft, providing an easy entry into the water.
他的船头像二战海滩登陆艇的前部一样向下倾斜,很容易进入水中。
We suit up, preparing to jump into the relatively warm 65 degree water.
我们穿好衣服,准备跳进相对温暖的65华氏度的水中。
David and I head down the mooring line to the top of the wreck of the Keystorm, in only 35 feet.
我和大卫沿着缆绳走到科思通号残骸的顶部,只有35英尺。
The Keystorm was a 256 foot-long steel-hulled cargo ship that sank in 1912 carrying a load of coal.
科思通号残骸是一艘256英尺长的钢壳货船,这条船在1912年沉没,船上装载着煤炭。
The captain miscalculated his position and struck a ledge.
船长弄错了位置,撞上了一个壁架。
David knows this wreck well, so he motions for me and Todd to follow him towards the bridge, which is, strangely, on the side of the wreck!
大卫对这起沉船了如指掌,所以他请求我和托德跟着他去桥那边。奇怪的是,桥就在沉船旁边!
The ship is awkwardly lying on its side, so the bridge, instead of being the highest point on the wreck, is hanging out in space at a depth of about 60 feet!
这艘船笨拙地侧歪着,所以这座桥并不是在沉船的最高点,而是悬在60英尺处的空中!
It makes for a great shot and I explore the bridge, swimming in and out of the windows, the glass from which is long since gone.
这是一个很好的拍摄角度,我探索大桥,从窗户游进游出,玻璃早已不见了。
David photographs a ladder going sideways!
大卫拍了一个横放着的梯子!
I head upwards, into the interior.
我向上游,进入内部。
Fish are hanging out inside, and rooms are full of deep accumulations of shells from generations of zebra mussels.
鱼在里面游荡,房间里满是好几代斑马贻贝的贝壳。
Back outside, I swim a little deeper, down the side of the wreck to a huge cowl vent.
回到外面,我游得更深一点,顺着残骸的一侧游到一个巨大的通风孔处。
This is sticking up off the top deck, but since the ship is on its side, it points horizontally out into the water.
这贴在上层甲板上,但由于船是在它的一边,它水平指向水中。
A cowl vent is used to funnel fresh air below deck.
风帽通风孔用于在甲板下输送新鲜空气。
Just to illustrate how big this thing is, I hop inside.
为了说明这东西有多大,我要进去。
Will I fit?
我能过去吗?
Yes!
能!
Even with my scuba gear I could slide right through this thing!
即使带着潜水装备,我也能从这东西里滑过去!
Soon I'm off into another room.
不久,我要去另一个房间了。
This used to be stateroom where a member of the crew slept.
这以前是一个有船员睡觉的舱房。

1.png

Rustcicles hang from a doorway.

门口悬挂着铁锈。
And hanging vertically from the sideways floor?
从侧面垂直悬挂?
A bath rub!
洗个澡!
I hop in the tub for a quick rust bath, and then Todd and I head back out into daylight.
我跳到浴缸里去洗个澡,然后我和托德又回到阳光下。
David is swimming along the hull, which is completely encrusted in zebra mussels, a small invasive mollusk that grows on everything in the St. Lawrence these days.
大卫正沿着船壳游动,船壳完全被斑马贻贝覆盖,斑马贻贝是一种小型侵入性软体动物,如今在圣劳伦斯河到处可见。
Finally, getting low on air, it's time to head back to the surface.
最后,氧气没有多少了,该回到海面了。
Whew!
唷!
Wow!
哇!
The really confusing thing about that wreck is that it's on its side, so everything is discombobulated.
那艘沉船真正令人困惑的地方在于它在它的一侧,一切都那么不协调。
The floors are the walls and the walls are the floors and the ceilings.
地板是墙壁,墙壁是地板和天花板。
And when you are swimming though it, it doesn't make any sense at all.
在游过去的时候,完全搞不明白。
It completely throws your brain for a loop, but a very interesting dive visually.
它完全能把你搞蒙,但视觉上看是一次超有趣的潜水。
We leave the mooring and head off to another wreck.
我们离开停泊处,前往另一艘沉船。
Approaching Dark Island, home of Singer Castle, we slow and prepare to dive the wreck of the America.
接近辛格城堡所在的黑岛时,我们放慢了速度,准备潜水去探索美洲号。
The America was a drill barge that sank 1932 due to an accidental explosion of dynamite it was carrying.
美洲号是一艘钻井船,1932年由于装载的炸药意外爆炸而沉没。
Several people were killed in the explosion.
有几人在爆炸中丧生。
David, Todd and I jump into the water and head down to the sea floor.
我、大卫和托德跳进水里,朝海底游去。
In the shallows we find the anchor chain, and follow it over and down to the wreck.
在浅水处,我们找到了锚链,然后沿着它一直游到沉船所在的位置。
Once we reach the wreck, David directs us towards the stern, where the explosion happened.
我们一到沉船那里,大卫就把我们引向船尾,爆炸就发生在那里。
As we approach the stern, it gets deeper and darker.
当我们接近船尾时,它变得越来越深。
At 75 feet, we encounter the props.
在75英尺处,我们碰到了支柱。
Because the ship is upside-down, the props are sticking straight up.
因为船是颠倒的,所以支柱直立着。
David and I maneuver for shots while Todd backlights the props with his video lights.
我和大卫移动地进行拍摄时,托德用他的视频灯照亮支柱。
Next we drop over the side, down towards the sea floor.
接下来,我们从一边下来,游向海底。
Hanging off the bottom of the wreck, which is actually the deck, is a huge rusty winch, wound with steel cable.
沉船的底部实际上是甲板,悬挂着一个生锈的巨大绞盘,缠绕着钢索。
I poke my head into the engine room door and have a look around.
我把头伸进机舱门,环顾四周。
As this was a steam engine, it had furnaces for the boilers.
由于这是一台蒸汽机,有锅炉用的炉子。
One of the furnaces is open and I can clearly see the bricks lining the inside.
其中一个炉子开着,我能清楚地看到里面围的砖。
This is where coal was burned to boil water to make steam for the engine.
这个地方烧煤来煮开水,为发动机制造蒸汽。
The black soot from the fire is still visible even after 80 years on the bottom of the river!
在80年后,大火的黑烟在河底依然清晰可见!
I head out of the engine room, up the line to the chain and back to the mooring line.
我从机舱出来,沿着缆绳到达链条,再回到系泊的缆绳。
My exploration of both the Keystorm and the America offered a fascinating glimpse into history.
我对科思通号和美洲号的探索,让我对迷人的历史有了了解。
Shipwrecks are time capsules of history.
沉船是历史的时代文物贮藏器。
The moment they sink, out of sight to the rest of the world, they stop changing with the world above.
当它们下沉时,在世界其他看不到它们的地方,它们与海面上的世界隔离,停止变化。
Although they eventually rust away and disappear, in the meantime they allow divers to travel back in time, if only for an hour, to a world of the past.
虽然它们最终会生锈消失,但它们也让潜水员适时地返回过去的世界,哪怕只有一个小时的时光。

重点单词   查看全部解释    
explore [iks'plɔ:]

想一想再看

v. 探险,探测,探究

联想记忆
sink [siŋk]

想一想再看

n. 接收端,沟渠,污水槽,散热器
vi. 下

 
visible ['vizəbl]

想一想再看

adj. 可见的,看得见的
n. 可见物

 
approach [ə'prəutʃ]

想一想再看

n. 接近; 途径,方法
v. 靠近,接近,动

联想记忆
gear [giə]

想一想再看

n. 齿轮,传动装置,设备,工具
v. 使适应

联想记忆
adventure [əd'ventʃə]

想一想再看

n. 冒险,奇遇
vt. 冒险,尝试

联想记忆
rust [rʌst]

想一想再看

n. 铁,锈
vi. 生锈,变成红棕色

 
discombobulated [diskəm'bɔbjuleit]

想一想再看

vt. 使混乱;使泄气;使困惑

联想记忆
incredible [in'kredəbl]

想一想再看

adj. 难以置信的,惊人的

 
contain [kən'tein]

想一想再看

vt. 包含,容纳,克制,抑制
vi. 自制

联想记忆

    阅读本文的人还阅读了:
  • 鳐鱼(上) 2019-08-30
  • 鳐鱼(下) 2019-09-06
  • 水瓶宫珊瑚礁基地(上) 2019-09-09
  • 夜晚的蝠鲼(上) 2019-09-20
  • 夜晚的蝠鲼(下) 2019-09-27
  • 上一篇:鳐鱼(下)
    发布评论我来说2句

      最新文章

      可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

      每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

      添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
      添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。