That other day I went to an amusement park with my soon-to-be 4-yeas-old son.
前几天,我带着快四岁的儿子去游乐场。
And I watch him play arcade games.
我看着他玩街机游戏。
He was incredible focused, throwing his ball at the target.
他玩的无比专注,努力朝着靶子投球。
Jewish mother than I am, I skipped 20 steps
作为一名犹太裔老妈,我跳过20步,
and was already imagining him as a major league player with what is his arm and his arm and his concentration.
已经开始想象他成为大联盟球手,头球精准,手臂健壮,用心专注。
But then I realized what he want. He was playing to trade in his tickets for the crappy plastic toy.
但后来我才明白他想要的是什么。他玩投球是为了用票换取粗劣的塑料玩具。
The prize was much more exciting than the game to get it.
最终的奖励比游戏的过程更令他兴奋。
I of course wanted to urge him to take joy and the challenge of the game,
我当然想鼓励他享受游戏的快乐和挑战,
the improvement upon practice, the satisfaction of doing something well,
不断练习带来的进步,因表现出色而得到的满足感,
and even feeling the accomplishment when achieving the game's goals.
甚至还有完成游戏目标时的成就感。
But all of these aspects were shaded by the 10 cent plastic men with sticky stretchy blue arms that adhere to the walls.
但这些都比不过一毛钱的塑料小人,小人伸出黏黏的手臂,还可以贴在墙上。
That-that was the prize. In a child's nature, we see many of our own innate tendencies.
这就是奖励。从孩子的本性中,我们看到许多自己天生的偏好。
I saw myself in him and perhaps you do too.
我看到了我自己,也许你们也能。
Prizes serve as false idols everywhere. Prestige, wealth, fame, power.
随处可见,奖励被当成虚假偶像来崇拜。威望、财富、名声、权势。
You'll be exposed to many of these, if not all.
你们将来就算不会全部遇到,至少也会遇到其中几个。
Of course, part of why I was invited to come to speak today beyond my being a proud alumna is that
当然我今天来演讲的部分原因,除了我是个自豪的哈佛校友之外,
I've recruited some very coveted toys in my life including a not so plastic, not so crappy one: an Oscar.
就是我在生命中得到了一些非常令人羡慕的玩具:奥斯卡小金人。
So we bump up against the common troll I think of the commencement address people who have achieved a lot telling you
在毕业演讲时我们会撞到常见的烦事,那就是成功人士来告诉你,
that the fruits of the achievement are not always to be trusted.
成功带来的结果并非那么值得信任。
But I think that contradiction can be reconciled and is in fact instructive.
但我觉得这种矛盾可以被弥合,而且是有教导意义的。
Achievement is wonderful when you know why you're doing it.
成就总是美妙的,但你得知道为何这样做。
And when you don't know, it can be a terrible trap.
如果你不知道,它就会变成可怕的陷阱。