Soon it's my turn!
很快轮到我了!
The line helps me swim straight down, so I don't waste energy going diagonally.
这条绳帮助我径直地向下游,所以我不会浪费精力斜游出去。
At fifty feet, we turn and come back up, gently, conserving energy to make that one breath last.
在50英尺的地方,我们轻轻地转身游回来,保存能量,让这一口呼吸能够持续下去。
Less than a minute later, I'm back at the surface.
不到一分钟后,我返回海面。
There's no way I could hold my breath for three minutes while swimming!
游泳时我无法屏吸三分钟!
What a day!
多么美好的一天啊!
Today I did some stuff I never thought I would do!
今天我做了一些从未想过自己会做的事!
With Karol's instruction I held my breath for almost three minutes and I dove to 52 feet without a scuba tank!
通过卡罗尔的指导,我在没有氧气瓶的情况下俯冲到52英尺的海中。
The next day, I head on over to the dive shop again, because Karol is taking the class out on the reef for a few hours of freediving practice.
第二天,我又去了潜水商店,因为卡罗尔要带全班去暗礁海域进行几个小时的自由潜水练习。
We will each partner up with a buddy and hone our skills.
我们都是搭伴潜水,磨练技能。
Karol is wearing a big monofin attached to both feet.
卡罗尔两脚都穿着一个巨大的脚蹼。
It takes strong leg muscles to swim with this kind of fin, but it provides a lot of thrust.
用这种脚蹼游泳需要强壮的腿部肌肉,但它能提供很大的推力。
With it, she swims like a dolphin!
有了它,她能像海豚一样游泳!
And like a dolphin, Karol can go a long time without breathing down there.
卡罗尔就像海豚一样,可以在海里长时间不呼吸。
You might ask why freedive if you can scuba dive?
你可能会问如果能做水肺潜水,为什么还要自由潜水?
Why hold your breath if you can strap on a tank and breathe all you like?
如果能背个氧气瓶,随心所欲地呼吸,为什么还要屏吸呢?
Well, it's peaceful, it's less intrusive in the marine environment, the fish seem much less bothered by freedivers than scuba divers, and it's just a fun skill to develop.
嗯,这是一种平和的方式,对海洋环境的干扰较小,与做水肺潜水的潜水者相比,鱼似乎更不会受到自由潜水者的干扰,而且这是一项有趣的技能。
But it requires practice.
但需要练习。
Lots of practice.
大量练习。
So, my buddy and I are practicing and getting better all the time.
所以,我和朋友一直在练习,不断进步。
The goal isn't to go deeper, but to stay longer on the reef, to have more time to look around.
我们的目标不是潜得更深,而是在暗礁上停留更长时间,有更多时间四处看看。
Karol shows me I have a long way to go!
卡罗尔告诉我,我还有很长的路要走!
But as I get more and more comfortable, I'm able to spend more than a minute down on the reef.
但是当我感到越来越舒服时,我可以在暗礁上呆一分钟多。
And my deeper dives are passing the 60 foot mark.
我的深潜超过了60英尺。
And this is with only a few days of training and practice!
这只是几天训练和练习的结果!
Later in the day, Karol and I spend an hour diving together.
那天晚些时候,卡罗尔和我一起潜了一个小时。
Well, sort of.
差不多吧。
I can't really keep up!
我真的跟不上!
Karol has set over a dozen world records, not just for static apnea.
不仅是静态屏气,卡罗尔创造了十几项世界纪录。
She has been down to depths over 500 feet on just one lungful of air!
她用一口气就能潜入500多英尺深的大海!
Today, swimming around a reef with her class, is just goofing around, easy stuff for Karol.
今天,她和同学们环绕礁石海域游泳,只是闲逛,这对卡罗尔来说很简单。
So at the end of my week of training, Karol certifies that I am a real free diver.
一周的训练结束时,卡罗尔证明我是一名真正的自由潜水员。
And I have the pin to prove it.
她为此授予我一枚胸针。
And now it's up to me to keep practicing, to become one with the sea.
现在,我要继续练习,真正去和大海融为一体。
Maybe someday I won't need a scuba tank anymore and I'll become part dolphin like Karol--but somehow I doubt it!
也许有一天我不再需要氧气瓶了,我也能和卡罗尔那样像海豚一样游泳,不过我对此表示怀疑。