Don't go away!
别走开!
Jonathan is about to test his free diving skills with a pod of Hawaiian Spinner Dolphins!
乔纳森正准备用一群夏威夷飞旋海豚来测试他的自由潜水技能!
Hi, I'm Jonathan Bird and welcome to my world!
嗨,我是乔纳森·伯德,欢迎来到我的世界!
Dolphins are among the ocean's most exhilarating animals--excitable, playful ambassadors of the sea.
海豚是海洋中最令人激动的动物之一,是最容易让人感到兴奋、最有趣的海洋大使。
Whenever a pod of dolphins appears, I always stop what I'm doing and see if they want to play.
每当一群海豚出现时,我总是停下正在做的事,看看它们是否想玩耍。
Dolphin encounters aren't always easy to plan, but there are places in the world where dolphins are regularly seen and this is one of those places.
与海豚相遇并不总是容易计划,但在世界上有些地方经常能看到海豚,这就是其中一个地方。
The Big Island of Hawaii.
夏威夷大岛。
Surrounded by the warm Pacific Ocean, the Big Island is an amazing place full of breathtaking views, exotic animals, and volcanic activity.
大岛周围环绕的是温暖的太平洋,这个地方美得令人叹为观止,到处都是激动人心的美景、稀有动物,还有火山活动。
But I've come to meet a pod of dolphins.
但我来这是为了见一群海豚。
It's 8 AM and Big Island Divers is putting one of their boats in the water at the marina.
现在是早上8点,大岛上的潜水员在码头上把一艘船放入水中。
Cameraman Todd and I grab our gear and head to the boat, where we meet captain Mike.
我和摄影师托德拿着装备走上船,我们在那见到了迈克船长。
We're going to go look around.
我们要四处看看。
I've got some spies out right now, looking for dolphins, and we'll see what feedback I get from them in the next few minutes...
有几个人现在正在寻找海豚,再过几分钟我就能从他们那获得反馈信息了。
I listen as Captain Mike explains how he will hopefully find us some dolphins and then, we shove off for the open ocean!
我听着迈克船长解释他将如何帮我们找到海豚,然后我们就驶往开阔的海域!
Soon we're half a mile offshore, cruising in search of dolphins.
很快,我们就到达了离岸半英里的地方,乘船去寻找海豚。
Ryan Leinbach (or as we call her, the Dolphin Whisperer) is telling us about the Hawaiian Spinner Dolphins we are hopefully going to meet.
瑞恩·林巴持(我们也叫她海豚低语者)正在讲述我们可能见到的夏威夷飞旋海豚的情况。
Hawaiian Spinner dolphins live here in the Hawaiian Islands, and at nighttime they go offshore to hunt and feed in the scattering layer.
夏威夷飞旋海豚生活在夏威夷群岛上,夜间它们会在近海中的散射层捕食。
So they feed on squid, oppellue that kind of stuff, and then as the sun rises in the morning, the dolphins come back to the shoreline to rest and to socialize along our Hawaiian shorelines.
它们以鱿鱼等鱼类为食,当早晨太阳升起时,海豚回到海岸线休息,沿着夏威夷海岸线互动。
What we are probably going to find today is they are either going to be traveling from point A to point B, or they're going to be in a "rest estuary."
我们今天可能会发现,它们要么是从A处游到B处,要么就是在“休憩河口”。
So we're cruising just offshore looking for Hawaiian Spinner Dolphins.
所以,我们正在海上航行,寻找夏威夷的飞旋海豚。
And since they tend to rest during the day, they are moving slowly.
由于它们白天往往在休息,所以移动速度很慢。
But they may not be very playful.
但它们可能不是特别爱玩耍。
Soon we spot the dorsal fins of dolphins and we circle closer to see what they're up to.
我们很快就发现了海豚的背鳍,我们绕得更近去看看它们在做什么。
Okay, so with you guys, timing is going to be critical.
对你们俩来说,时机很关键。
So, like when we say go, you go.
比如我们说走时,你们就走。
These guys are turning around right here.
这些家伙就在这儿转来转去。
That's what we want.
这就是我们要找的。
We want them to stay here.
我们希望它们留在这儿。
The dolphins look pretty active, so now is my chance to suit up and see how close I can get.
海豚看起来很活跃,现在我该穿上潜水衣,看看我能离多近。
I'm Readaaaaaay to go!
我准备好啦!
Ryan slips silently into the water, with me and Todd close behind.
瑞安悄悄地跳进海里,我和托德紧跟在后面。
At first we don't see anything, but then the dolphins come into view.
起初我们什么也没看见,后来海豚出现了。
They make a fairly close pass to have a look at us, but then they turn and swim away, back into the blue.
它们紧贴着我们游了过去,看了我们一眼,然后转身游回到蓝色海洋。
I swim along behind them for a few minutes, but eventually they give me the slip.
我跟在它们后面游了几分钟,但最后它们还是游开了。
But that's OK, if there's one thing I have learned about interacting with dolphins over the years, is that you need to be patient.
但没关系,多年来我在与海豚的互动中学到了一点,那就是需要有耐心。
Well, that wasn't bad for a first try. It was interesting to see them in the water, but they just weren't interested in playing.
对于第一次尝试来说还不错,在水里看到它们真有趣,但它们不太想玩。
We pull the ladder and head off to find a more cooperative pod.
我们把梯子拉回来,去寻找到更爱玩的海豚。
Captain Mike has found another pod.
迈克船长找到了另一群海豚。
Behind the boat, they are doing what spinners are known for!
它们在船的后面,做着飞旋海豚最爱做的事!
Spinning!
旋转!
So, we slow down and get ready to try again.
所以,我们放慢速度,准备再试一次。
Hopefully this is going to be it!
希望这此成功!
Once again I drop into the water with my camera and fin my way over towards the dolphins.
我又一次拿着摄像机跳进海中,朝着海豚游去。
Soon, Todd and I are in the middle of a big pod of Spinners.
很快,我和托德周围就围了一大群飞旋海豚。
I do my best dolphin impersonation, free-diving down to them as they pass below.
当它们向下游去时,我尽力模仿海豚,向着它们下潜。
But they make my breath-holding skills look pathetic.
但它们让我屏息的技巧显得很蹩脚。
This group is going slowly because they are actually resting.
这群海豚游得很慢,因为它们实际上是在休息。
They hunt at night in deep water, so during the day, they rest.
他们晚上在深水处猎食,所以白天休息。
Dolphins don't rest the way we do.
海豚和我们休息的方式不同。
If they fall asleep, they will drown.
如果它们睡着了,就会溺水而亡。
When a dolphin sleeps, it shuts down half of its brain, while the other half stays awake, controlling a slow swim and periodic breathing.
当海豚睡觉时,有一半大脑停止运作,另一半则保持清醒,控制着缓慢地游泳和周期性呼吸。
After a while, the dolphin swaps sides, letting the other half of its brain sleep.
过一会,海豚会更换工作的大脑,让另一半大脑入睡。
The result is a slow-swimming animal that appears fully awake...but not really.
结果是一只游得很慢的动物看起来是完全清醒的,但事实并非如此。
Spinner dolphins are not particularly large.
飞旋海豚体型并不是特别大。
They grow to be about the same size and weight as an adult human.
它们能长到与成人的个头和体重差不多。
But they don't live as long.
但是它们的寿命并不长。
Estimates are that they only live to be about 20 or so years old.
估计只能活到20岁左右。
So, after a short but exciting encounter with these majestic and beautiful animals, I watch them swim off into the blue.
在与这些非常漂亮的动物进行激动人心的短暂邂逅之后,我看着它们游入蓝色海洋之中。
They need their sleep for tonight, hunting somewhere out there in the deep blue world.
它们需要睡觉,这样晚上才能在蓝色世界的深处狩猎。