For instance, I'm a theater maker who loves sports.
比如说,我是一个热爱运动的戏剧家。
When I was making my latest piece /peh-LO-tah/ I thought a lot about how soccer was a means for my own immigrant family
当我在创作最新的剧作peh-LO-tah时,我想了很多关于我自己的移民家庭,
to foster a sense of continuity and normality and community within the new context of the US.
如何在美国的新环境中,用足球来建立一种连续性,体会平常和集体感。
In this heightened moment of xenophobia and assault on immigrant identity,
在这个高度排外、移民身份受到攻击的时刻,
I wanted to think through how the game could serve as an affirmational tool for first-generation Americans and immigrant kids,
我想好好思考一个足球比赛如何可以成为第一代美国人和移民儿童肯定自我的工具,
to ask them to consider movement patterns on the field as kin to migratory patterns across social and political borders.
能够让他们把球场上的移动看作跨越社会和政治边界的迁移。
Whether footballers or not, immigrants in the US play on endangered ground.
不管是不是热爱足球,美国境内的移民都在危险的地方生活与玩耍。
I wanted to help the kids understand that the same muscle that they use to plan the next goal
我想帮孩子们认识到他们用来计划下个进球的肌肉,
can also be used to navigate the next block.
同样可以用来指引下个街区的方向。
For me, freedom exists in the body.
在我看来,自由是与生俱来的。
We talk about it abstractly and even divisively,
我们对自由的讨论经常是抽象的、有分歧的,
like "protect our freedom," "build this wall," "they hate us because of our freedom."
比如“保卫我们的自由”,“建这个墙”,“他们讨厌我们是因为我们的自由。”
We have all these systems that are beautifully designed to incarcerate us or deport us, but how do we design freedom?
有这么多精心设计的系统来监禁我们或驱逐我们,但我们要如何设计自由呢?
For these kids, I wanted to track the idea back to something that exists inside that no one could take away,
对于这些孩子,我想追寻一个存在于内心、无人能夺走的东西,
so I developed this curriculum that's part poli-sci class, part soccer tournament, inside of an arts festival.
所以在一个艺术节上,我开设了一个课程,一部分是政治学课程,一部分是足球比赛。
It accesses /peh-LO-tah/'s field of inquiry to create a sports-based political action for young people.
它用了peh-LO-tah的核心主题,来创建一个基于体育的针对年轻人的政治活动。
The project is called "Moving and Passing."
这个项目叫“Moving and Passing”。
It intersects curriculum development, site-specific performance and the politics of joy,
它融合了课程研发,基于不同场地的表演和关于喜悦的政治,
while using soccer as a metaphor for the urgent question of enfranchisement among immigrant youth.
同时用足球作为一个比喻来回应现在很危急的、如何让移民青年享有公民权的问题。