That is incredible! Those fish are so huge - they're like the size of refrigerators! Unbelievable!
真是难以置信!石斑鱼太大了,有冰箱那么大!难以置信!
As the massive fish gather into groups for their evening spawning, I'm up above getting ready. I hope I don't miss anything!
当大量的鱼聚集在一起准备晚上产卵时,我已经准备好了。我希望我没有错过任何东西!
These fish only spawn once a year, in September, during the full moon, at dusk. And they only do it for maybe one or two nights.
这些鱼一年只产卵一次,在九月,满月的时候,黄昏的时候。他们只会这样做一两个晚上。
We know they spawned last night so this might be my last chance to film this.
我们知道昨晚它们已经孵化了,所以这可能是我拍摄的最后机会了。
So, as the sun gets low in the sky, Pierre and I jump back in the water.
所以,当太阳下山时,皮埃尔和我跳回水中。
We head back down to the wreck.
我们回到沉船的地方。
The Goliath Groupers are all around the wreck in abundance.
沉船周围到处都是歌利亚石斑鱼。
These groupers are so large that they don't need to worry about too many predators.
这些石斑鱼体型庞大,它们不需要担心太多的捕食者。
With almost no current now, they head away from the protection of the wreck into open water.
现在几乎没有水流,他们从沉船的保护地开进了开阔的水域。
Clouds of cigar minnows stick to the groupers like glue, eagerly anticipating millions of delicious eggs that the groupers will release when they spawn.
成群的雪茄鱼像胶水一样粘在石斑鱼身上,急切地期待着石斑鱼产卵后会释放出上百万个美味的卵。
The medium sized fish called jacks make runs at the cigar minnows to see if they can catch a meal.
这条中等大小的鱼叫“杰克”,它会跑到雪茄鱼那里,看看是否能得到一顿食物。
David is caught up in the action, photographing the cigar minnows surrounding the groupers.
大卫正忙于拍摄石斑鱼周围的雪茄鱼。
I keep looking for any kind of mating activity, but something totally unexpected catches my eye.
我一直在寻找任何交配活动,但一些完全意想不到的东西吸引了我的目光。
It's a manta ray swimming among the groupers!
这是一条在石斑鱼中间游动的蝠鲼!
I move in for a shot of the ray. It doesn't seem afraid of me.
我过去给他拍摄照片。它似乎不怕我。
And I have to believe it's no coincidence that a manta has shown up here.
我必须相信,这不是巧合,这里出现了一只蝠鲼。
Mantas are filter feeders and this one is probably hoping to join the cigar minnows and feed on some grouper eggs.
蝠鲼是滤食性动物,这只蝠鲼可能希望加入雪茄鱼的行列,吃一些石斑鱼蛋。
The manta seems intrigued by our video lights and she keeps coming over to me.
蝠鲼似乎对我们的摄影灯很感兴趣,她一直向我走来。
So I put my camera down and give her a little belly rub.
于是我放下相机,给她做了个小腹按摩。
And then the manta swings around and says Hi to Pierre! What a thrill for both of us!
然后那只螳螂转过来跟皮埃尔打招呼!对我们俩来说,这是多么令人激动的事啊!
Any dive with a manta ray and fish the size of refrigerators is definitely a good day at the office!
任何有冰箱大小的蝠鲼和鱼的潜水绝对是美好的一天!
Mantas are awesome but I need to keep my attention and my camera focused on the big groupers so I don't miss anything.
蝠鲼非常棒,但我需要集中注意力,我的相机要对准大石斑鱼,这样我就不会错过任何事情了。
The cigar minnows are crowding in even tighter to the Groupers.
雪茄鱼把石斑鱼围得更紧了。
You can hardly even tell there's a big fish in the middle of all that!
你甚至看不出这中间有一条大鱼!
It's an amazing spectacle to observe. These enormous fish would make Michael Jordan feel small.
这是一个神奇的景象。这些巨大的鱼会让迈克尔·乔丹觉得自己很渺小。
And the cigar minnows are just magical to watch.
而雪茄鱼看起来也很神奇。
We see a lot of what looks like courting, but no spawning.
我们看到很多看起来像是求爱,但不是产卵。
Maybe the groupers are more bothered by our presence than they let on. Or maybe they are waiting until dark.
也许石斑鱼对我们的出现比他们表现出来的更在意。或者他们一直等到天黑。
But as it gets later and later, we are running out of light, and air. Reluctantly, Pierre and I must head back to the surface.
但是随着时间的推移,我们的氧气和灯光都已耗尽。皮埃尔和我必须得回到水面上。
It looks like the spawning will happen later in the evening and I'll miss it.
看起来产卵会在晚上晚些时候发生,我会想念它的。
Back aboard the boat, David and Jen are looking at their shots.
回到船上,大卫和珍正在看他们的照片。
See that? That is really nice!
看到了吗?那真是太好了!
Even though we didn't see the actual spawning, the dive was still well worth the effort.
尽管我们没有看到真正的产卵,但这次潜水还是值得的。
That was an incredible experience. Those fish are just majestic, covered with all those beautiful fish.
那是一次难以置信的经历。那些鱼真大,上面覆盖的全是漂亮的鱼。
We didn't actually see the spawning event - not sure if maybe they're doing it now - but we finally had to come up.
我们实际上并没有看到产卵——不确定它们现在是否正在这么做——但我们最终不得不回到水面上
We ran out of time and it was really dark, but – unbelievable - that was something that I will never forget.
我们没时间了,天很黑,但难以置信的是,我永远不会忘记这件事情。
The Goliath Grouper is a spectacular example of successful marine conservation.
歌利亚石斑鱼是海洋保护的成功典范。
This vulnerable fish was pushed to the very brink of extinction, but was saved at the last minute by laws to protect them.
这条脆弱的鱼被推到了灭绝的边缘,但在最后一刻,法律保护了它们。
In less than 20 years, they have made a strong comeback.
在不到20年的时间里,它们已经强势回归。
And although their population has not yet fully recovered, they are well on the way.
尽管它们的数量还没有完全恢复,但它们已经步入了正轨。