Despite implicit and explicit questions of my right to be in an elite space, I'm proud to report that when I graduated,
我不知道自己是否能算精英阶层,但我很骄傲地宣称,
I was the first black woman to earn a PhD in astrophysics in Yale's then 312-year history.
我,一名黑人女性,获得天体物理学博士学位,在耶鲁大学312年历史中是第一个。
I am now part of a small but growing cadre of women of color in STEM
我参加了一个很小但是发展很快的组织,成员都是在STEM领域工作的非白人女性,
who are poised to bring new perspectives and new ideas to life on the most pressing issues of our time:
我们集思广益,追求创新,致力于解决当代最为紧迫的问题:
things like educational inequities, police brutality, HIV/AIDS,
比如教育的不平等,警察滥用职权,艾滋病,
climate change, genetic editing, artificial intelligence and Mars exploration.
气候变化,基因组编辑,人工智能,探索火星等等。
This is to say nothing of the things we haven't even thought of yet.
简而言之,我们的研究领域包罗万象。
Women of color in STEM occupy some of the toughest and most exciting sociotechnological issues of our time.
可以说,STEM领域里的非白人女性,在当代社会技术中最艰难、最振奋人心的领域中占有一席之地。
Thus, we are uniquely positioned to contribute to and drive these conversations in ways that are more inclusive of a wider variety of lived experience.
因此,我们处于独特的地位,能够推动这些课题的讨论往更加多元化的方向发展。
This outlook can be expanded to the many intersectional people whose experiences, positive and negative,
能吸纳更多处于交点的人才,他们的经历,无论是积极的还是消极的,
enrich the conversations in ways that outmatch even the best-resourced homogenous groups.
都能使我们的研讨更加精彩纷呈,甚至要超过那些最优秀,但是同质化的群体。
This is not a request born out of a desire to fit in.
这不是因为渴望融入某个群体而产生的需求。
It's a reminder that we cannot get to the best possible outcomes for the totality of humanity
而是一种提醒:我们的成果对人类这个整体而言就不能算最好的,
without precisely this collaboration, this bringing together of the liminal,
如果我们缺乏合作,如果我们忽视交点处的人才,
the differently lived, distinctly experienced and disparately impacted.
忽视他们与众不同的人生和丰富的经历,忽视他们的影响力的话。
Simply put, we cannot be the most excellent expression of our collective genius
一句话,我们无法完全体现人类作为一个整体的智慧,
without the full measure of humanity brought to bear. Thank you.
如果不全面考量天赋人性的话。谢谢大家。