However, I managed to get a hold of a Borane eventually, and here is the beast.
无论如何,我最终得到了一些硼烷,这就是那个“怪物”。
And it really does have the same -- if you calculate, if you measure the vibrational frequencies, they are the same as S-H.
结果和我预期的一样--如果你计算,如果你计算振动频率,它的和S-H的一样。
Now, does it smell of sulfur?
现在,来看看它闻起来像不像硫?
Well, if you go back in the literature, there's a man who knew more about Boranes than anyone alive then or since, Alfred Stock, he synthesized all of them.
如果你去查文献,会发现有一个人比历史上任何人都更了解硼烷,阿尔弗雷德·斯托克,他用人工的方法合成过所有的硼烷类物质。
And in an enormous 40-page paper in German he says, at one point -- my wife is German and she translated it for me -- and at one point he says,
在他用德语写成的长达40页的论文中,他曾说,我太太是德国人她为我翻译了一下,他曾说,
"ganz widerlich Geruch," an "absolutely repulsive smell," which is good.
“ganz widerlich Geruch”意思就是“绝对令人厌恶的味道”,这很好。
Reminiscent of hydrogen sulfide.
让人想起硫化氢。
So this fact that Boranes smell of sulfur had been known since 1910, and utterly forgotten until 1997, 1998.
硼烷闻起来像硫这一事实,自从1910年人们就知道了,但是却全然被大家遗忘了直到1997年、1998年。
Now, the slight fly in the ointment is this: that if we smell molecular vibrations, we must have a spectroscope in our nose.
现在唯一的不足就是如果我们闻到的是分子的震动,我们的鼻子里一定要有一个分光镜才行。
Now, this is a spectroscope, OK, on my laboratory bench.
这是一个分光镜,在我实验室的椅子上。
And it's fair to say that if you look up somebody's nose, you're unlikely to see anything resembling this.
可以这么说如果你观察一个人的鼻子内部,你不会看到任何类似这个的东西。
And this is the main objection to the theory.
这是反对这个理论的主要观点。