And that wasn't a difficult diagnosis to make.
这不是一个困难的诊断。
I made it and I set to work treating her.
作出诊断后我开始着手帮她治疗。
I gave her aspirin. I gave her medications to relieve the strain on her heart.
我开给了她阿司匹林,并给了她一些可以减轻她心脏负担的药物。
I gave her medications that we call diuretics, water pills, to get her to pee out the access fluid.
我还给了她一些利尿剂,俗称水丸,帮助她将体内多余的水分排出。
And over the course of the next hour and a half or two, she started to feel better.
在接下来的一两个小时里,她开始觉得好转。
And I felt really good. And that's when I made my first mistake; I sent her home.
我也感到高兴。而就在此时我犯了第一个错误:我让她回了家。
Actually, I made two more mistakes. I sent her home without speaking to my attending.
正确的来说,我还犯了两个错误。我在和我的主治汇报之前便让她回了家。
I didn't pick up the phone and do what I was supposed to do,
我没有做我照着我应该做的,
which was call my attending and run the story by him so he would have a chance to see her for himself.
拿起电话打给我的主治并让他看一下这个案例,给他一个亲自见见这名病患的机会。
And he knew her, he would have been able to furnish additional information about her.
我的主治认识她,因此可以提供更详细的病历资料。
Maybe I did it for a good reason. Maybe I didn't want to be a high-maintenance resident.
或许我有这么做的理由。或许我并不想做一个需要经常地指导的实习医生。
Maybe I wanted to be so successful and so able to take responsibility
也许我太想可以独当一面,
that I would do so and I would be able to take care of my attending's patients without even having to contact him.
可以不需要和我的主治沟通便照顾好他的病患。
The second mistake that I made was worse.
而我犯的第二个错误更加严重。
In sending her home, I disregarded a little voice deep down inside that was trying to tell me,
在让她回家时,我忽视了我内心一个微小的声音。这个声音试图告诉我:
"Goldman, not a good idea. Don't do this."
“高德曼,这样不好,不要这么做。”
In fact, so lacking in confidence was I that I actually asked the nurse who was looking after Mrs. Drucker,
其实,当时的我是如此的没有自信,以至于我甚至向照顾Drucker女士的护士寻求了意见:
"Do you think it's okay if she goes home?"
“你觉得让她回家好么?”
And the nurse thought about it and said very matter-of-factly, "Yeah, I think she'll do okay."
那位护士想了想,然后就事论事的说:“嗯,我觉得没有问题。”
I can remember that like it was yesterday.
这一切对我来说,都还像是发生在了昨天。