I'm the first exoneree to be exonerated by an Innocence Project, and then go on to be a lawyer for an Innocence Project.
我是第一个在“昭雪计划”(Innocence Project)的帮助下被免罪然后成为作为律师加入这一计划的人。
The best thing to do with your anger is to use it as the fuel that drives you to reach goals in life.
利用愤怒最好的办法就是把愤怒当成激励你实现人生目标的动力。
My name is Jarrett Adams, and this is my story.
我是加勒特·亚当斯,下面讲述一个我的故事。
At the age of 17, I was sentenced to 28 years in a maximum security prison.
十七岁的时候,我就被判了28年的有期徒刑,关进了一所铜墙铁壁般的监狱。
I was falsely accused of a sexual assault I didn't commit.
我被冤枉犯了性骚扰罪,尽管我根本没有做过那样的事。
And I realized very quickly early on, it had nothin' to do with the truth, it was about race.
很快我便意识到,我的罪其实跟事实并没有什么关系,而是一个种族问题。
If you can't afford to prove your innocence, the court affords an attorney to you.
如果你没钱请律师来证明你的清白,法院就会出资给你请。
My lawyer convinced my family and I that a no-defense theory was the best theory of defense.
我的律师说服了我和我的家人,不辩护就是最好辩护。
It was a horrible idea, and that defense contributed to me bein' found guilty.
这是一个非常恐怖的主意,因为它让我被判了有罪。
I was incarcerated in prison. So I was there for almost a decade.
我被关进了监狱,还关了将近10年。
One day is too long when you're innocent. I was a kid. I was absolutely terrified.
如果你是清白的,那监狱里的每天都将是度日如年。关进去的时候我还是个孩子,那时我害怕极了。
My entire youth was gone. This is when boys become men. I missed out on all of that.
我整个青春期都搭进去了,而男孩子就是经过青春期蜕变成男人的,这一切我都错过了。
I was, at a time, broken, but when I continued to see that my mother and my aunts weren't broken and they were fightin' for my innocence,
有段时间我很崩溃,但当我一次又一次看到我的妈妈和我的姑姑们并没有被击垮,而是为证明我的清白四处奔走时,
I decided that if I didn't have the energy to fight for myself, I most certainly could find the energy to fight for them.
我暗下决心,即使我没有精力为我自己而抗争,我也有精力为他们而抗争。
I started to try to grasp the law.
从那时起我便开始学习法律。
I would get law books, law journals, and read about attorneys who were litigating cases in the State of Wisconsin.
看法律方面的书籍、杂志,关注那些在威斯康星州打官司的法官。
So I reached out to the Innocence Project, the organization that advocates and litigates on behalf of the wrongfully convicted.
就这样我认识了“昭雪计划”这个专为被冤枉的受害者打官司的机构。
Ultimately they accepted my case.
他们最后受理了我的案子。
The court unanimously decided to overturn my conviction.
法院一致同意撤销对我的定罪。
I ended up enrolling in a four-year college where I studied criminal justice.
最后我去了一所四年制的大学,学习刑事审判。
After graduating, I obtained my law degree, and I became an attorney.
毕业时我拿到了我的法律学位,成了一名律师。
I had the opportunity to exonerate another person and it was special to me,
我有了帮助他人洗清罪名的机会,这对我来说有着非凡的意义,
because it was in the same state in which I was wrongfully convicted.
因为这我就是在这个地方被冤枉的。
I have now opened my own law practice.
现在我已经开拓了自己的法律业务。
And I think that me comin' from a place like the criminal justice system,
我想,既然我本身就有刑事司法体系方面的经历,
being wronged, carryin' the stories and gettin' to know other men who have been wronged,
我自己也被冤枉过,我肩负着其他和我有着同样遭遇的人的故事,
what better advocate could they have, but myself?
除了我,还有谁能够更好地为他们做主?
I strongly feel like this happened to me for a reason. It was necessary to encourage the greatness outta me.
我坚信这一切都是有原因的,正是这些经历激发了我最大的潜能。