This is Everyday Grammar. I'm Lucija.
欢迎收看《每日语法》栏目,我是露西佳。
And I'm Kaveh. And today's episode is all about contractions.
我是卡维,今天整期都将讨论缩写词,
Contractions are ways to shorten words and phrases. For example, I AM can be contracted to I'M.
缩略是将单词或词组减短的方法。例如,I am可以缩写成I'm。
And you can't talk about contractions without mentioning apostrophes.
在谈到缩写时,不可避免地要提到所有格符号。
Ah, yes. I still can never get those right.
是的,我仍然不能完全搞明白。
An apostrophe is a punctuation mark. One use of the apostrophe is to make contractions.
所有格符号是一个标点,所有格符号的一个用处就是构成缩写形式。
Most contractions are a combination of a pronoun and a verb.
很多缩写都是代词加动词的形式,
The apostrophe replaces the letter or letters that have been dropped.
所有格符号代替省略的那一个或多个字母。
Contractions are difficult. Even native speakers confuse contracted pronouns with possessive pronouns.
缩写这个语法点很难,即便是英语为母语的人都会将缩略代词和物主代词混淆;
For example, the contraction “IT’S" (it is) sounds exactly like the possessive pronoun "ITS."
例如,it is的缩写it's的读音和物主代词its的读音一样。
The same confusion applies to the following words:
下面表格中的词也同样容易混淆,第一栏为代词+动词,第二栏为物主代词:
That's really good to know.
能知道这些实在太好了。
Here's another tip! If you are unsure about using a contraction, you can just skip it.
还有另外一个小窍门,如果你不确定如何使用缩写,直接跳过这个点就好。
In fact, we don't use contractions in formal writing.
事实上,在正式文体中不用缩写形式。
What about speaking?
那在口语中呢?
Contractions in conversations are fine. Most native speakers can't help using them.
对话中使用缩写形式没问题,大部分英语为母语的人都忍不住使用缩写,
We use contractions all the time, even on this show!
我们一直都有在用缩写词,即便是在这个节目中。
That's good to know. That is Everyday Grammar.
听到你这么说真好。以上就是今天节目的全部内容。