Hello again.It’s the big day and Mr Socrates is about to arrive at the offices of Tip Top Trading to talk officially to the team.
再次见面了。今天是重要的一天,苏格拉底先生将到访Tip Top Trading正式与员工们谈话。
What is he going to say?And more importantly, will he get his freshly squeezed orange juice?
他要说些什么呢?更重要的是,他能喝到鲜榨的橙汁吗?
Quickly everybody… he’s coming out of the lift with Paul.
大家快点……他和保罗从电梯里出来了。
Anna quickly, get a glass of orange juice ready.
快点,安娜,准备好一杯橙汁。
…and if we come through this door here we get to the office and… morning everyone.
我们通过这扇门就到办公室了……大家早上好。
I’m sure we’ve all met Mr Socrates on the day of the… fire… but today everything is a bit calmer and well he’s here to say hello.
我肯定大家在失火那天都见过苏格拉底先生了,但今天一切都更平静了一些,他来向大家问好。
Hi!Biscuit Mr Socrates? Biscuit? You mean a goddamn cookie. Thanks.
你们好!苏格拉底先生,吃饼干吗? 饼干?你是指这该死的饼干。谢了。
Err, Mr Socrates, I’m Anna.Would you like some orange juice – freshly squeezed?
苏格拉底先生,我是安娜。你想来点鲜榨的橙汁吗?
You betcha as long as it’s made from Florida oranges.
当然,只要是佛罗里达橙制成的。
Hey… Anna? Ain’t you the girl who booked my hotel room?Oh yes, sorry about the bed and…
安娜?你是那个给我订酒店房间的女孩吗?是的,关于床的事很抱歉……
Hey, you got me a new room, it was great.You did a good job there. Well done.Oh thanks.
你给我换了新房间,太好了。你工作得很出色,做得好。谢谢。
Hello. It’s Tom. I recommended the hotel, it was a…
你好,我是汤姆。我推荐的酒店,它是……
Tom. Everyone, shall we gather round and hear what Mr Socrates has to say? Please.
汤姆,大家应该聚在一起听听苏格拉底先生要告诉我们什么。
Hey… what’s your name… Paul.
你叫什么? 保罗。
Yeah you. Don’t you think I should be sitting in the big chair?
对,你,你不觉得应该由我来主持吗?
Sorry. Yes of course. There you go.
抱歉,当然,你来吧。
Now. Tip Top Trading. I gotta give it to you straight.
那么Tip Top Trading的员工们,我要有话直说了。
Things ain’t looking good, in fact the outlook is gloomy.
事情并不好,事实上,前景暗淡。
The global recession has led to a meltdown in the plastic fruits sector.
全球经济衰退导致塑料水果业垮台。
And I’ve got to announce a profit warning.
我不得不宣布盈利警告。
We just ain’t selling enough of these bananas, oranges and lemons to make any money.
我们不能售出足够多的香蕉、橙子和柠檬来赚到钱。
There’s a bit of an economic squeeze on lemons! What? !
这是对柠檬的经济压榨! 什么?!
Oh dear. I’m not sure what he’s talking about but it sounds bad.
上帝。我不确定他在说什么,但是听起来不妙。
It is Anna. He’s delivering some bad news without hiding the truth.
是的,安娜。他没有掩藏事实,而是在告诉你们坏的消息。
That’s why he said “I’ve got to give it to you straight”.
这就是他为何说:我要有话直说了。
He said “the outlook is gloomy” which it means the future doesn’t look good.
他说“the outlook is gloomy”(前景暗淡)意味着未来不妙。
And he mentioned a “profit warning”, which means company profits are probably going to go down.
他提到“盈利警告”意味着公司的盈利可能一直在下降。
Crikey! That is bad. What does it mean?Just keep listening for now.
哎呀!不好。那是什么意思?现在继续听他怎么说吧。
…so, this calls for action. I’m going to have to…
所以要马上行动起来,我将要……
Oh no, not me Mr Socrates, I’ve been a loyal employee, I couldn’t face being unemployed.
不,不要是我,苏格拉底先生,我是忠诚的员工,我不能面对被解雇。
Tom, calm down.I’m not talking about redundancies yet.
汤姆,冷静。我还没有说裁员。
Gosh, well that calls for another biscuit.My plan is… we’re going into Europe.You mean we’re moving to Europe?
天啊,再来点饼干。我的计划是我们去往欧洲。你是说我们搬去欧洲?
No, no Anna. I think he means we’re going to sell plastic fruit to the European market.
不,不,安娜。我想他的意思是我们在欧洲市场销售塑料水果。
Oh right! Great. Mr Socrates, I’ve lots of experience with Europe.
好的,太好了,苏格拉底先生,我有很多欧洲的经验。
I had a holiday in Spain once… twice actually.
我在西班牙度假过一次……实际上是两次。
Well we’ll have to make sure our phones can make international calls.
我们要保证可以打国际电话。
I think you’re gonna need some help with this, so I’m bringing in my best marketing executive, Rachel.
我想你们需要一些帮助,所以我带来了我最好的市场总监,瑞秋。
What she doesn’t know about selling to Europe, you don’t wanna know.She’ll be here in a few weeks’ time.
她知道有关欧洲销售市场的一切。几周后,她就到这儿了。
Do you know if she prefers tea or coffee… or orange juice perhaps?
你知道她喜欢茶还是咖啡或者也许是橙汁?
Look Diana… Denise…Denise. Like Dennis right?
听着,黛安娜。 是丹尼斯。丹尼斯。就像“Dennis”对吗?
She’ll want the best – the best tea, coffee, the best team.I’ll expect improved results and profits.
她将要最好的,最好的茶,咖啡和团队。我期望在成果和利润方面有所提高。
If not your necks will be on the line – especially yours Paul.Oh, chop chop. We’d better get to work.
否则你们的工作就危险了,特别是你,保罗。快点,快点,我们最好去工作了。
Scary! “Your necks will be on the line” – he means their jobs will be at risk if things don’t improve.
可怕!“Your necks will be on the line”他的意思如果得不到改善,他们的工作将要岌岌可危。
It’s a worrying time for Tip Top Trading.
对Tip Top Trading来说是一个使人烦恼的时期。
Let’s remind ourselves of the phrases Mr Socrates used to deliver bad news.
让我们看看苏格拉底先生在传递坏消息时使用的表达方式。
I’ve got to give it to you straight.The outlook is gloomy.I’ve got to announce a profit warning.
我要有话直说了。前景暗淡。我不得不宣布盈利警告。
Let’s hope this new marketing strategy for Europe is going to work.How are you feeling Anna?A little nervous.
期望这些新的欧洲市场策略能管用。你觉得怎么样,安娜?有点紧张。
But I’m going to try my best to make sure this new strategy works.That’s the spirit Anna!
但我将尽力保证新计划起作用。就是这种态度,安娜!
Right everyone. I think we need to take Mr Socrates down to the Rose and Crown after work for a pint or two and show him some true English hospitality.
好了大家。我想在下班后我们应该带苏格拉底先生去Rose and Crown喝几杯,让他看看真正的英式招待。
How about it?I don’t drink.Ah well, perhaps some lemonade?Oh dear. This should be interesting.Until next time, bye!
怎么样?我不喝酒。也许喝点柠檬汁呢?上帝,这会很有趣的。下次见,再见!