From the first time I saw refugees I saw them in front of me, not in the television.
我第一次见到难民,他们就活生生的在我眼前,而不是在电视里。
It's a huge difference.
两者之间差别很大。
I never forget that I could have been in their position.
我知道我的处境也可能和他们一样。
You could see many people using their phones 24 hours per day trying to connect.
你会看到很多人一天24小时都在试图用手机尝试联系。
Everyone understood that Wi-Fi was so important in the camps to get a channel of communication with their relatives
大家都明白无线网络在营区是非常重要的,可以与亲人交流,
to say hello, that I'm here, I'm alive, I need help.
可以向他们问好并告诉他们,我在这里,我还活着,我需要帮助。
Thousands of people arrived there and the original camp expanded five times.
数以千计的人抵达那里,最初的营区已经扩张了五倍。
We were there to help, to install Wi-Fi everywhere.
我们在那里提供帮助,给各处安装无线网络。
In almost every deployment there were people from Google.
几乎每一种岗位上都有来自谷歌的人。
We do have a lot of people with an engineering mindset, and a lot of people want to help.
我们确实有很多人都有工程意识,很多都想要去提供帮助。
And this is one of those things that Ilias can do in about two, three minutes
这种事情伊利亚斯只需要两三分钟,
and so far I've been on it for about 15.
而到目前为止我已经花了15分钟了。
But I'm gonna get it eventually - We started expanding the connectivity to 60 camps all around Greece.
但是我最终会完成的——我们开始给希腊的60多个营区接入网络。
- This is an antenna that's going to beam it down to the school down there.
这是一个天线,它的信号可以发送到那边的学校。
We are trying to take care of the needs of the refugees
我们尽力关照到难民的需求,
and we are trying to give them the best life that we can offer them.
并且尽可能的给予他们最好的生活。
The fact they have Internet help them to believe for something else and that was something amazing.
拥有网络的事实可以帮助他们相信一些其他的事情,那太令人惊奇了。
- I feel pretty good about being able to give people connectivity
我觉得能给人们建立这种连通性是很棒的,
but it's a little more special when it's people that you know really need it.
但是当你知道人们真正需要它的时候,这种感觉就更特别了。
- It reminds them that there is another world. They are not alone.
它提醒人们,还有另外一个世界,他们并不孤单。