When our parents graduated, that sense of purpose reliably came from your job, your church, your community.
在你父母毕业的时候,目标很大程度上来自工作、教会、社区。
But today, technology and automation are eliminating many jobs.
但是今天,技术和自动化正在代替很多工作,
Membership in communities has been declining.
社区成员的人数也一直在下降。
And a lot of people are feeling disconnected and depressed, and are trying to fill a void in their lives.
许多人感到沮丧,感到自己不被需要,努力着在填补他们生命中的空白。
As I've traveled around, I've sat with children in juvenile detention and opioid addicts,
我旅行的时候,曾和许多被拘留或嗑药成瘾的孩子们坐在一起,
who told me that maybe their lives would have turned out differently if they just had something to do, and after school program or somewhere to go.
他们告诉我如果他们有事可做,可以参加课后活动或者有地方可去,他们的人生也许会变得很不一样。
I've met factory workers who know their old jobs aren't coming back and are trying to find their path ahead.
我也遇到过很多工厂的工人,他们没法再从事之前的工作了,他们在试图找到自己前进的道路。
For our society to keep moving forward, we have a generational challenge,
为了社会的进步,我们这代人身负挑战,
to not only create new jobs, but create a renewed sense of purpose.
不仅仅是创造新的工作,还要饱有使命感。
I remember that night I launched Facebook from that little dorm in Kirkland House.
我还记得在Kirkland House的小宿舍中做出脸书的那晚,
I went to Noch's with my friend KX.
我和我的朋友KX去了Noch。
And I remember telling him clearly that I was excited to connect the Harvard community, but one day someone would connect the whole world.
我清楚地记得我告诉他,我很开心能把哈佛的社群连接起来,但是未来有一天,会有人把整个世界都连接起来。
The thing is, it never even occurred to me that someone might be us.
我完全没有想到这个人会是我们。
We were just college kids. We didn't know anything about that.
当时我们还只是大学生,还并不了解什么。
There were all these big technology companies with all these resources. and I just assumed one of them would do it.
那些大型技术公司有很多资源,我认为其中某一个大公司一定会做到这一点的。
But this idea was so clear to us -- that all people want to connect.
但是我们对于建立互联的这个想法是非常清晰的,
So we just kept working on it, day after day after day.
所以我们一直在朝这个方向努力前进。
And I know that a lot of you are gonna have your own stories just like this.
我知道你们中的很多人也会有类似的故事。
A change in the world that seems so clear that you're sure someone else is going to do it.
你似乎很肯定有人要改变世界,
But they are not. You will.
然而他们并没有,而你会。
But it's not enough to have that purpose yourself.
但是,光有目标是不够的。
You also have to create a sense of purpose for others.
你还必须拥有心系他人的目标。