Both Warren and I could look at our fathers and see what they did right and what they did wrong.
沃伦和我都可以向我们的父亲看齐 看看什么做对了 什么做错了
Warren's father was a real old-fashioned right-wing ideologue.
沃伦的父亲是一名真正的老派右翼思想家
And his father was so intense about it,
他父亲对这很热情
that Warren just decided that it was mistake,
沃伦确定这是错的
it cabbaged up your head to be that much an ideologue,
做这样的思想家要满腹经纶
so he loved his father, but he didn't want to become that much of a true believer in, in anything.
所以他喜欢他的父亲 但是他不想成为任何东西的忠实信徒
My politics became more overt after my dad died.
我的政治行为在我父亲去世后更加公开了
Civil rights changed my views.
人权改变了我的观点
You know, in 1776 Thomas Jefferson wrote,"All men are created equal," and then when they wrote the Constitution,
1776年托马斯杰斐逊写道 人人生来平等 当他们编写宪法时
they all of a sudden decided that, no,
他们出乎意料地就决定了
it was just 3/5ths of a person if you were black.
如果你是黑人你就等于半个人多一点
I mean, that struck me as kind of crazy.
那让我疯狂
I was talking to him one day about some racial issue,
我有一头和他讨论种族问题
and he said to me, "Wait till women discover they're the slaves of the world."
他和我说 等待女人发现 他们是世界的奴隶吧
Now how many men were cognizant of that, and even women then?
现在很多男人知道了 女人知道吗