And then at home, my mother would have terrific headaches,
在家的时候 我的母亲会有严重的头疼
and you didn't want to be around her when she was having the headaches,
在她头疼的时候 你不会想在她身边
and she would,she would lash out more. She would never do it in public.
她会乱摔某些东西 她从不会当众这样做
Well, I think we were terrified of her.
我觉得我们很害怕她
When I'd wake up in the morning,
当我早上醒来
I'd listen to hear her voice. I could tell by her voice if it was going to be a terrible day or not.
我会听到她的声音 我能通过她的声音 分辨出今天是否糟糕
When she got difficult,the three children felt it.
但她遇到困难时 三个孩子都能感受到
When I was at the low point, sort of, I decided that I would run away.
当我在低谷时 我觉得 我觉得我会逃离
So I talked two other guys into running away with me.
所以我叫其他两个人和我一起走
We went out,and we start hitchhiking...
我们出去搭顺风车
and then we got picked up by the highway patroland that scared the hell out of us.
我们被高速公路巡警带上了 那可把我们吓坏了
It's very interesting.My dad never really gave me hell about doing this,
那非常有趣 我的父亲从来不因为这个训斥我们
but he finally said, "You know,"he said, "you can do better than this."
但他最后说 你们知道的 你们可以比这做的更好
And just saying that, I mean, I,I felt like I was letting him down, basically.
我的意思是 我感觉我让他失望了
So in all ways, he was teaching me.
所以他一直在让我受到教诲
Never taught by telling me things,he just taught by example.
不是用告知我的方式来教育我 他通过举例来进行
He had unlimited confidence in me, even when I screwed up,and that takes you a long, long way.
他对我有无限的信心 甚至在我搞砸的时候 那对你来说会是很长的路