Most of the time, you probably sit down to use your brain,
在很多时候,你大概都是坐着去思考问题,
but ironically, lengthy periods of sitting actually run counter to this goal.
但是讽刺的是,长时间的坐着却让你和你的初衷背道而驰。
Being stationary reduces blood flow and the amount of oxygen entering your blood stream through your lungs.
坐着不动使血液流动放缓,使通过肺部进入血液中的氧气减少。
Your brain requires both of those things to remain alert,
你的大脑需要所有这些东西去保持灵敏,随着你的大脑活动减慢,
so your concentration levels will most likely dip as your brain activity slows.
你的注意力集中程度有很大的可能性会降低。
Unfortunately, the ill effects of being seated don't only exist in the short term.
不幸的是,这种不良影响在短期内并不会发生。
Recent studies have found that sitting for long periods is linked with some types of cancers and heart disease
近期研究发现,长期坐着与某些癌症和心脏病存在特殊的联系,
and can contribute to diabetes, kidney and liver problems.
并且可能促成糖尿病,引起肾脏和肝脏的病变。
In fact, researchers have worked out that, worldwide, inactivity causes about 9% of premature deaths a year. That's over 5 million people.
事实上,研究者已经发现,每年世界上过早死亡的案例中,不活动占据了9%的死因,总数超过5百万人。
So what seems like such a harmless habit actually has the power to change our health.
这个看起来并没有多大害处的习惯,实际上却有影响我们健康的能力。
But luckily, the solutions to this mounting threat are simple and intuitive.
幸好,解决这个威胁的方法非常简单。
When you have no choice but to sit,
当你只能坐着的时候,
try switching the slouch for a straighter spine, and when you don't have to be bound to your seat,
试着去抬头挺胸,当你不需要被绑在座椅上时就更不用说了,
aim to move around much more, perhaps by setting a reminder to yourself to get up every half hour.
试着去到处走走活动活动。或者你可以给自己设一个提示,每隔半个小时起来一下。
But mostly, just appreciate that bodies are built for motion, not for stillness.
更多的时候,我们要感激人类的身体是为运动而生,而不是寂静。
In fact, since the video's almost over, why not stand up and stretch right now?
其实,这个视频也快到尾声了,为什么不趁现在起来走走?
Treat your body to a walk. It'll thank you later.
把走一走当作对你身体的小奖赏,它会在日后感谢你的。