Why shouldn't you go on thinking about the unthinkable?
为什么你不该继续想那些无法想象的东西
Somebody's got to start sometime.
或许有些人已经开始了
Think how many things were unthinkable a century ago.
想想在一个世纪以前有多少事情是无法想象的
and yet people have thought them.
还有人们曾想过的
And often they also seemed quite unpractical.
它们经常看起来不切实际
Not all the things Stephen says probably are to be taken as gospel truth.
史蒂芬说的东西 并不一定都被当作真理
He's a searcher. He's looking for things.
他是一个探索者 他正在探索
And sometimes he probably talks nonsense. Well, don't we all?
有时他可能是胡说八道 好吧 难道我们不也是吗
But the point is...people must think.People must go on thinking.
但关键是 人类必须思考 必须继续思考
They must try to extend the boundaries of knowledge...
他们必须试着扩展知识的边界
and they don't sometimes even know where to start.
有时他们甚至不知道从何开始
You don't know where the boundaries are, do you?
你不知道边界在哪 不是吗
You don't know what your taking-off point is.
你不知道你的起点是什么
If we do discover a complete theory of the universe
如果我们确实发现了一个完整的宇宙理论
it should in time be understandable in broad principle by everyone not just a few scientists.
它应该及时就成为广泛的原则 被每个人所理解 而不仅仅是少数的科学家
Then we shall all philosophers, scientists, and just ordinary people
然后我们所有人 无论哲学家 科学家 还是普通人
be able to take part in the discussion of why it is that we and the universe exist.
都能够参与讨论 我们和这宇宙为什么存在
If we find the answer to that it would be the ultimate triumph of human reason for then we would know the mind of God.
如果我们找到答案 这将是人类理性的 最终胜利 因为我们知道了 上帝的想法