‘Oh,I heard your dog scratching at the door,so I came to see what the matter was. I opened the door,and found you unconscious. It must have been the smoke from the stove. ’
“我听到你的狗在抓门,就来看是怎么回事。我打开门,发现你正昏迷不醒。一定是炉子里的烟熏的。”
‘I believe you saved my life,Miss——I don't know your name.
“我想你救了我的命,小姐——我不知道你的名字。”
‘There's no need to know it. I probably won't see you again. ’
“没有必要知道。我也许不会再见到你。”
‘My name is Gabriel Oak. ’
“我叫盖伯瑞尔·奥克。”
‘Mine isn't. You sound very proud of your name. ’
“我的名字不一样。你好像很为你的名字骄傲。”
‘Well,it's the only one I shall ever have. ’
“是的,它将是我唯一的名字。”
‘I don't like mine. ’
“我不喜欢我的名字。”
‘I should think you'll soon get a new one. ’
“我想不久你就会有一个新名字。”
‘Well!That's my business,Gabriel Oak. ’
“哼,那是我的事,盖伯瑞尔·奥克。”
‘I'm not very clever at talking,miss,but I want to thank you. Come,give me your hand!’
“我不很善于交谈,小姐,不过我想谢谢你。来,把手给我!”
She hesitated,then offered her hand. He took it,but held it for only a moment. ‘I'm sorry,’he said. ‘I didn't mean to let your hand go so quickly. ’
她有点犹豫,接着伸出了手。他接住她的手,但只握了一下。“很抱歉,”他说。“我并不是故意这么快就松开你的手。”
‘You may have it again then. Here it is. ’
“那你还可以再握住。给你。”
Gabriel held it longer this time. ‘How soft it is,even in winter,not rough at all! ’he said.
盖伯瑞尔这一次握得时间长一些。“多么柔软呵,即便在冬天也一点不粗糙!”他说。
‘there,that's long enough,’she said,but without pulling it away. ‘But I suppose you're thinking you'd like to kiss it?You may if you want to. ’
“喂,你握的时间够长了,”她说,但并没有抽回手。“我猜你是否正在考虑要吻我的手?如果你愿意,你可以这么做。”
‘I wasn't thinking any such thing,’said Gabriel,‘but—’
“我根本没这么想,”盖伯瑞尔说,“不过——”
‘Oh no you won't!’She pulled her hand sharply away. ‘Now discover my name,’she added,laughing,and left.
“欧,不,你不可以!”她突然把手抽了回去。“现在看你能不能搞清我叫什么名字,”她加了一句,笑着走掉了。