There must be no deviation from this condition.
这一点不可以含糊,
Will you agree?"
你答应吗?”
"Yes, sire."
“答应,老爷。”
"And now the most important condition of all.
“现在,还有最重要的一个条件,
You are forbidden to share the scrolls
你不能把羊皮卷上的内容
or the wisdom they contain with anyone.
告诉任何人,
One day there will appear a person who will transmit to you a sign
将来有一天,你会得到神的启示,
just as the star and your unselfish actions were the sign I sought.
就像那颗星星对我的启示,
When this happens you will recognize this sign even though the person transmitting it
到时候,你会认出这个人来,
may be ignorant that he is the chosen person.
也许连他本人也不知道是怎么回事。
When your heart assures you that you are correct
等你确认无误之后,
you will pass over to him, or her, the chest and its contents and when this is done
你再把这箱秘密传给他。
there need be no conditions imposed on the receiver
就像我认出你一样
such as were imposed on me and which I now impose on you.
你要一字不落地找到下一任继承者
The letter which I received so long ago commanded that the third to receive the scrolls
这第三代传人,
could share their message with the world if he so desires,
如果他愿意,就可以把所有秘密公诸于世了。
Will you promise to carry out this third condition?
这个条件,你答应吗?”
"I will."
“答应。”
Pathros sighed in relief
柏萨罗长嘘一声,
as if a heavy weight had been removed from his body.
如释重负。
He smiled weakly and cupped Hafids face in his bony hands.
他面带微笑,用骨瘦如柴的双手捧起海菲的脸庞。
"Take the chest and depart
“带上箱子上路吧。
I will see thee no more.
我们不会再见面了。
Go with my love and with my wishes for success and may your Lisha
我爱你,孩子,祝你成功,
eventually share all the happiness your future will bring you."
也愿你的丽莎能分享你未来的一切幸福。”
Tears unashamedly rolled down Hafid's cheeks as he took the chest
泪珠顺着海菲的脸颊滚落下来。他拿起箱子,
and carried it through the open bedroom door.
走出主人的卧房。
He paused outside, placed the chest on the floor,
他在门外停住脚步,放下箱子,
and turned back toward his master,
又转回头问他的主人:
"Failure will never overtake me
“只要决心成功,
if my determination to succeed is strong enough?"
失败永远不会把我击垮?”
The old man smiled faintly and nodded.
老人靠在床上,微微点了点头,
He raised his hand in farewell.
笑着朝他挥手告别。