On the last day of the conference, just before lunch, Admiral King sent for Pug.
会议的最后一天,就在午餐开始之前,海军上将金派人来叫帕格。
He found the admiral in under-shirt and trousers in his cabin, drying face and ears with a towel.
帖格来到金的舱室,看到这位海军上将身穿衬衣和裤子,正在用毛巾擦洗面部和耳朵。
Task Unit 26 point 3 point 1, consisting of two destroyers, the Mayrant and the Rhind, has bee formed, King said without a greeting. It will escort the Prince of Wales to Iceland.
特混舰队26.3.1.包括梅伦号,和梭德号两艘驱逐舰,已经组成,金连招呼也没有打就开口说道。这支舰队将护送威尔士亲王号去冰岛。
You will embark in the Prince of Wales as liaison officer, disembark in Iceland, and return with our task unit.
你将以联络官的身分登上威尔士亲王号,到冰岛后再离开威尔士亲王号,随特混舰队返回。
Aye aye, sir.
是,长官。
You'll have no written orders.
不给你下书面命令了。
In confidence, we'll soon be convoying all ships to Iceland.
私下里先给你透个风,我们很快就会将所有船舰护航到冰岛,
Maybe by next week. Hell, our own marines are occupying the place now.
时间可能就在下周。见鬼,我们的海军陆战队已经占领那个地方了。
The President's even sending a young officer along as a naval aide to Churchill while he tours our Iceland base.
总统甚至还派了一位年轻军官作为海军副官陪同丘吉尔参观我们的冰岛基地,
Ensign Franklin D. Roosevelt, Junior.King spoke the name with an expressionless face.
此人是海军少尉小富兰克林罗斯福。提到这个名字时,金的脸上没有任何表情。
Yes, sir .
知道了,长官。
Now, Henry, how are you at languages?
再问你一句,亨利,你在语言方面怎么样?
It's long time since I tried a new one, Admiral.
很久以前我学过一种外语,将军。
Well, a military supply mission will go to the Soviet Union in September.
是这样的,九月份要运送军用物资去苏联,
If Russia's still in the war by then, that is, Mr. Hopkins has brought up your name.
当然就是说,如果俄国到时仍在坚持战斗的话。霍普金斯先生提名要你去,
He appears impressed, and the President too, by your expertise on landing craft and so forth.
他和总统似乎都很欣赏你在登陆运载工具等方面的专长。
Now your service record has been checked, and it seems you claim a poor to fair knowledge of Russian.
我们还查过你的服役档案,好像你自称懂一点俄语。
Hey? How is that? That's very unusual.
嘿!是怎么回事?这可不简单哪。
Admiral, I put that down when I enter ed the Academy in 1911.
将军,那是我一九一一年进海军学院时登记填写的。