However, I was commanded to apply the principles of the scrolls to my own life,
我受命江羊皮卷里所写的东西用到自己的生活中,
until one day
直到将来有一天,
someone would appear
出现那么一个人,
who had need for the help
他比少年时的我更需要帮助,
and guidance contained in these scrolls
更需要这羊皮卷的指引,
far more than I did when I was a youth.
那时我就把这些宝贝传给他。
I was told that through some sign I would recognize the individual to whom I was to pass the scrolls
据说我将通过异象认出那个我要找的人,
even though it was possible that the individual would not know
也许他并不知道
that he was seeking the scrolls.
自己在寻找这些羊皮卷。
"I have waited patiently,
“我一直耐心等待着,
and while I waited I applied these principles as I was given permission to do.
一面等,一面按上面教的去做,
With their knowledge I became what many call the greatest salesman in the world
结果我成了大家所说的最了不起的推销员,
just as he who bequeathed these scrolls to me
就象给我羊皮卷的那个人一样,
was acclaimed as the greatest salesman of his time.
他也是他那个时代最成功的推销大师。
Now, Erasmus, perhaps you will understand, at last,
伊拉玛,你现在大概可以体会出,
why some of my actions through tie years
为什么有时候我会做出你看来莫名其妙、毫无意义的举动,
seemed peculiar and unworkable to you,
毫无意义的举动
yet they proved successful.
而结果却证明我是对的。
Always were my deeds and decisions guided by these scrolls;
我一直深受这些羊皮卷的影响,照它写的去做,
therefore, it was not through my wisdom that we acquired so many gold talents.
也就是说,我们赚下的财富,并非出自我个人的智慧,
I was only the instrument of fulfillment."
我只是个执行的工具而已。”
"Do you still believe that he who is to receive these scrolls from thee will appear after all this time?"
“过了这么多年,您还相信那个衣钵传人终会出现?”
"Yes."
“不错”
Hafid gently replaced the scrolls and closed the chest
海菲小心翼翼地把羊皮卷放回箱内,然后把箱子盖好。
He spoke softly from his knees,
他柔声说道,
"Will you stay with me until that day, Erasmus?"
“老伊,你愿不愿意跟着我,知道我找到那个传人为止?”
The bookkeeper reached through soft light until their hands clasped.
老总管在柔和的光线里伸出手去,终于和主人的手紧紧握在一起。
He nodded once and then withdrew from the room as if from an unspoken command from his master.
伊拉玛忠厚地点了点头,然后悄悄地推下,走出了阁楼。
Hafid replaced the leather strapping on the chest
海菲把箱子重新锁好,用皮革裹住,
and then stood and walked to a small turret
又看了一会儿才直起身子,走出塔楼,
He stepped through it out onto the scaffold that surrounded the great dome.
站在环绕着巨大圆顶的平台上。
A wind from the East
微风由东边吹来,
blew into the old man's face
拂过老人的面颊,
carrying with it the smell of the lakes and the desert beyond.
风中夹着远处湖水和沙漠的气味。
He smiled as he stood high above the rooftops of Damascus
他居高临下,站在那儿,往事也随风掠过了胸际,
and his thoughts leaped backwards through time....
老人迁动着双唇,微微地笑了。