A continuation of the reminiscences of John Watson, M.D.
Our prisoner's furious resistance did not apparently indicate any ferocity in his disposition towards ourselves,
我们的罪犯疯狂的抵抗显然并不是对于我们每个人有什么恶意,
for on finding himself powerless, he smiled in an affable manner,
因为当他发觉他已无能为力的时候,便温顺地微笑起来,
and expressed his hopes that he had not hurt any of us in the scuffle.
并且表示,希望在他挣扎的时候,没有伤害我们之中的任何一个。
"I guess you're going to take me to the police station," he remarked to Sherlock Holmes.
他对福尔摩斯说:"我想,你是要把我送到警察局去的。
"My cab's at the door. If you'll loose my legs I'll walk down to it.
我的马车就在门外。如果你们把我的腿松开,我可以自己走下去上车。
I'm not so light to lift as I used to be."
我可不是象从前那样那么容易被抬起来的。"
Gregson and Lestrade exchanged glances, as if they thought this proposition rather a bold one;
葛莱森和雷斯垂德交换了一下眼色,似乎认为这种要求太大胆了些。
but Holmes at once took the prisoner at his word, and loosened the towel which we had bound round his ankles.
但是,福尔摩斯却立刻接受了这个罪犯的要求,把我们在他脚腕上捆扎着的毛巾解开了。
He rose and stretched his legs, as though to assure himself that they were free once more.
他站了起来,把两条腿舒展了一下,象是要证明一下,它们确实又获得了自由似的。
I remember that I thought to myself, as I eyed him, that I had seldom seen a more powerfully built man;
我现在还记得,当时我瞧着他的时候,一面心中暗想,我很少见到过比他更为魁伟强壮的人了。
and his dark, sunburned face bore an expression of determination and energy which was as formidable as his personal strength.
饱经风霜的黑脸上表现出的那种坚决而有活力的神情,就象他的体力一样地令人惊异和不可忽视。
"If there's a vacant place for a chief of the police, I reckon you are the man for it,"
他注视着我的同伴,带着衷心钦佩的神气说:
he said, gazing with undisguised admiration at my fellow-lodger.
"如果警察局长职位有空缺的话,我认为你是最合适的人选了。
"The way you kept on my trail was a caution."
你对于我这个案子的侦查方法,确实是十分谨慎周密的。"
"You had better come with me," said Holmes to the two detectives.
福尔摩斯对那两个侦探说道:"你们最好和我一块儿去吧。"
"I can drive you," said Lestrade.
雷斯垂德说:"我来给你们赶车。"
"Good! and Gregson can come inside with me. You too, Doctor.
"好的,那么葛莱森可以和我们坐上车去。还有你,医生。
You have taken an interest in the case, and may as well stick to us."
你对于这个案子已经发生了兴趣,最好也和我们一块走一遭吧。"
I assented gladly, and we all descended together.
我欣然同意了,于是我们就一同下了楼。
Our prisoner made no attempt at escape,
我们的罪犯没有一点逃跑的企图,
but stepped calmly into the cab which had been his, and we followed him.
他安安静静地走进那个原来是他的马车里去,我们也跟着上了车。
Lestrade mounted the box, whipped up the horse, and brought us in a very short time to our destination.
雷斯垂德爬上了车夫的座位,扬鞭催马前进,不久,便把我们拉到了目的地。