莫娜:这幅肖像画怎么样?
Leonardo:I'm done with the sketches and I'm ready to start on the painting.
莱奥纳多:我受够了这些草图,我要准备开始进行创作了。
Mona:This commission is quite a godsend for a new artist.
莫娜:对于一位新的艺术家而言,这次的酬劳可谓天赐良机。
If you do a good job with this portrait, you may get other commissions.
如果你在这幅肖像上表现良好,你可能会得到更多。
Leonardo:It's all the same to me.
莱奥纳多:这对我来说都是一样的。
I paint them as I see them.
看到了我就会进行创作。
Mona:Well, I hope not exactly as you see them.
莫娜:嗯,我希望你看到的不会体现在创作上。
A portrait has to be flattering, doesn't it?
肖像画得很讨人喜欢,不是吗?
Leonardo:You mean I should downplay bulging eyes, hooked noses, and double chins?
莱奥纳多:你的意思是我应该淡化这些凸出的眼睛,弯曲的鼻子,还有那个双下巴?
No way. That's what makes each face distinctive.
没门。这样的特点使每张脸看起来都独一无二。
Mona:Maybe that isn't the best way to think about it.
莫娜:也许你这样想才不是最好的。
Everybody has an image of themselves in their mind's eye.
每个人都有自己心目中的那个形象。
You would just be capturing that image.
你只要迎合那个图像就好。
Leonardo:I'm an artist, not a psychologist.
莱奥纳多:我是个艺术家,不是心理学家。
If they have squinty eyes, ears that stick out, a weak chin, or thin lips, that's what I'm going to paint.
如果他们眼睛是斜的,耳朵竖起来,下巴没吸引力,或嘴唇薄薄的,我就要依此进行创作。
Mona:But this sketch shows a really prominent forehead and a receding hairline.
莫娜:但这张草图显示了一个很突出的前额及后退的发际线。
Maybe you could just…
也许你可以…
Leonardo:No! I have to be true to my art.
莱奥纳多:不!我必须让自己的艺术忠于现实。
I'm not compromising.
我可不会妥协。
Mona:I was just hoping you could finally make enough money to move off of my couch!
莫娜:我只是希望你最终能赚到足够的钱离开我的沙发!